Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

It's funny, my buddy Jack and I were talking about that this weekend. Turkeys can hear better than deer, they can see better than deer and are close to just as wary as deer. Could you imagine if they could smell as good as deer? We'd never kill them![&:]
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Right now I am hunting my turkeys like deer. They are not coming to calls at all. So I am setting up on the travel routes and hoping to intercept one.

But I still say turkeys are easier than Mature Bucks. Now just any deer and you might have an arguement.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Jeff. Turkey hunting in general is more difficult.I also am convinced a blind is easier for bowhunting"IF" the birds are willing to ignore the blind andcome in close just because you can move a little more.If it spooks them or makes them weary its not helping you get a bird though.

I came home from NC this past Wed after having birds not cooperating withcalls.I went out Fri morning in MD and took a nice gobbler in 15 minutes after fly down but I cheated and used a gun lol. Still, it was about as easy a turkey hunt as anyone could have. Heard him on the roost, made a few calls after fly down and him and his buddy were on top of me in 15 minutes. He was ready and willing, and was makinga racket right until I shot him. I took him with a gun because I had no one to video but Im 100% certain I could have easily taken a shot at him with no blind and with my bowas he was less than 10 yards. There were actually 2 toms. My next MD bird will be with a bow. Im headed back to NC this Fri and Sat to hunt at Big Daddys http://www.bigdaddyoutfitters.com/
I have2 tags left andBrad said the birds really just turned back on and are responding to calls again.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Diesel77

I agree Jeff. Turkey hunting in general is more difficult.I also am convinced a blind is easier for bowhunting"IF" the birds are willing to ignore the blind andcome in close just because you can move a little more.If it spooks them or makes them weary its not helping you get a bird though.

I came home from NC this past Wed after having birds not cooperating withcalls.I went out Fri morning in MD and took a nice gobbler in 15 minutes after fly down but I cheated and used a gun lol. Still, it was about as easy a turkey hunt as anyone could have. Heard him on the roost, made a few calls after fly down and him and his buddy were on top of me in 15 minutes. He was ready and willing, and was makinga racket right until I shot him. I took him with a gun because I had no one to video but Im 100% certain I could have easily taken a shot at him with no blind and with my bowas he was less than 10 yards. There were actually 2 toms. My next MD bird will be with a bow. Im headed back to NC this Fri and Sat to hunt at Big Daddys http://www.bigdaddyoutfitters.com/
I have2 tags left andBrad said the birds really just turned back on and are responding to calls again.
Musta been the ultimate camo.[:-]

Great job how about some pics.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a bow, without a blind, I totally agree with you. Once you remove the danger of them spotting you (blind), getting a deer is harder without a doubt. I will qualify that statement - by deer I mean mature buck or doe.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkeys are tougher to me than Deer no doubt. They just don't do anything consistently, maybe it's because they are bird brains.

Dan
Old 04-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the camo certainly didnt hurt thats for sure Jim We have a few really good videos of birds in real close range on the ground, onehas a tom within 10 yards, no cover at all, the cameraman moved his tripod about a foot so he could see the bird on his screen as it was walking by in full strut, bird looks right at the camera, starts moving his head all around trying to locate them, aftera few seconds he keeps walking and attacks the full strut decoy before the young lady shoots the bird.Good stuff. The pic with 3 guys is us in NC last weekend. 4 of us UltimateCamo ninjas together in those little pines and the bird came right in to our decoys. I have to admit I wascurious to seeif 4 guys would stick outas the camera was rolling when the turkey came in, but the bark pattern just works.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Turkeys with a bow, maybe.....Turkeys with a gun? Nope.... The harvest statistics in MS prove a higher ratio of turkeys killed per hunter than do deer per bowhunter... I believe the math.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Can't argue with that, DC.......

Rob and I both would have gobblers down, now, if we'd taken a gun.

Not my cup of tea
Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Try it with a flintlock and it may be. After losing 2 birds in one season with body shots from my bow (finally took one with a head shot) I gave up that endeavor and went to blackpowder shotgunning. It's a blast! It's still all about getting them in close though < 20 yards, just like bowhunting.

Quick Reply: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.