Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Old 04-21-2008, 07:19 AM

Default RE: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

I agree. If they are not gobbling it can be very difficult to get them and they won't let you know where they are. At least with deer we can locate them and they just need to walk, turkeys in the spring must gobble for me and be hot in order to kill one even with a gun!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Location, location, location.
Pressure, pressure, pressure

I think some including myself fall into a trap with turkeys. We think we can just put up a blind and a decoy yelp a bit and we got one. I think now after hunting in KY this weekend the ability to adopt to what is going on around you is key. One must get the "feeling" of the turkeys.

When I return to KY, no calling, no decoys and I am going to brush in my blind. I am going to try and catch them on the move.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

so far I would have to agree, I have limited land to try and get on a bird but figuring them out has been difficult to say the least
Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

A turkeys brain is the size of a acorn,and their curiosity is nonexistent. If a turkey hears what it wants to hear once your job is done. Video cameras and preseason scoutinghave educated more turkeys than any one will ever know.

Listen more , then listen and then listen and then and only then call even less. And remember that little red light that says to all that your recording.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course they are.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends. Just any turkey to just any deer....deer are easier.

Gobblervs mature buck things get a bit fuzzier. Sometimes turkeys can be the toughest things out there. But there are so few mature bucks around it requires a great effort. I have more confidence in getting after a buck, but I've also hunted for them much much longer.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

To begin with.....we're limited (turkey hunting) to male birds. On top of that......the targets, themselves, are MUCH smaller. Compound these items with the fact that you're on the ground (I'm STILL not convinced that a blind is oblivious to a turkey).
I agree, Jeff. Not to mention that here in MN we only get 5 days to TRY and shoot one.

edit: everything but the blind thing. I'm pretty convinced, though at first I was not. Have you had birds act different because of the blind (do you think) just curious.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Depends. Just any turkey to just any deer....deer are easier.

Gobblervs mature buck things get a bit fuzzier. Sometimes turkeys can be the toughest things out there. But there are so few mature bucks around it requires a great effort. I have more confidence in getting after a buck, but I've also hunted for them much much longer.
Good point. With turks, I've found that getting on the same big bird isn't really a problem, getting him within range is of course, but locating and calling/gobbling is much easier and more predictable than a mature buck. Almost apples to oranges in that comparison just based on the home ranges. A big tom may live on the same 40 for his whole life, not so for a buck. Any animal that actually calls back is about as frustrating as it gets when you know right where they are but can't do a thing about it.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

It sure is fun trying them though Good luck to you, im sure we will see pics soon
Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Amen. They are not only hard to get in position to take a shot, but they are also very hard to kill with a bow. Other than the head, neck, and a small area at the top front of the bird's body; there is very little blood in a turkey. And they have two independent systems of locomotion. I mortally wounded three birds last spring - only recovered one. This past Tuesday, I shot one in the chest that thrashed around with the arrow sticking out his backside about 14". Eventually broke off the Easton FMJ and escaped into the Tamarisk jungle. Presumably, the back 12" of the arrow was still stuck in there - plugging any blood that might leak out. Never found this bird either. This is the third bird shot on this property this season that has gotten away from a solid body shot. Frustrating.

Quick Reply: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.