Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Okay, the story on 10 ten reasons:

Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Okay, the story on 10 ten reasons:

What a beautiful morning, after all I was in a ground blind hunting turkeys in NC and not at work in PA climbing poles.

Walking in they were gobbling already. We got set up well before they hit the ground and from that time on until I pulled the trigger of the release we never went a 1/2 hour without hearing a gobbler. The first sighting we hear walking behind the blind and then a cluck, 3 hens skirt us to our left.

The next sighting was when Jeff spotted the turkeys, hens and strutters about 150 yards away out in the field adjacent the woodlot. We periodically talked to them, got responses and waited.

Don't remember what time it was after talking to hens, talking to gobblers that 3 walked up through the woods about 60 yards out. They wouldn't commit to the setup. They gobbled on up and away from us in the woods.

Later we hear more walking and behind us a hen, jake and long beard walked by about 22 yards. By the time we heard them, they walked by on the wrong side of the blind.

That was enough for us, we sound checked the birds, looked around and repositioned the blind the other way.

Shortly we got a response. Waited, hit them again and another response. Moments later here they come. Jeff's glassing them and says longbeard. 2 Longbeards come up just behind a deadfall. I said if he continues behind that deadfall it's going to be a problem. Sure enough, me at full draw, Jeff says he has in in the camera but he's blocked by the deadfall and just like a gobbler will do, he walked right up the hill behind that deadfall.

The second one in tow. The first one needed to clear some trees, 25 yards shot and I don't know how but the second one busted us or didn't like something. They both started putting. The second moved away and up the hill, the first one still not knowing what was going on came out from behind the tree, I asked Jeff, "got him", yes shoot him. As I the release left go, the bird stepped and turn and the impact of the arrow sounded perfect. I was at full draw for eternity and was just about to let down when he came clear. Feathers everywhere, he stood as I tried to knock another arrow all the while shaking and Jeff saying I got him, hurry up shoot again. Just as I came to full draw, there was no shot.

Jeff said he stood there and shook and we honestly thought it was done. Those 2 walked off suddenly followed by 6 or 7 jakes.

We decided to check the footage. The shot at first looked perfect. We played it again, still looked perfect but as we slowed it down, the arrow went slightly low as he turned and stepped. Upon finding the arrow clean, the bird was about 3 yards farther than what he appeared when he was behind that 21 yard downfall.

Oh well, we picked up an feather for keepsake, got back in the blind and of course, Jeff busted my balls for the next half hour while we listened. As you can see by his post, he's still busting my balls.

Time spent in NC, 0-1 on longbeards and not in PA not hunting....PRICELESS!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Okay, the story on 10 ten reasons:

Sounds like you and Jeff had an awesome day hunting those birds even though you didn't harvest your bird you still had fun.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL! That top ten list is priceless. Sounds like you guys are doing very well. AWESOME though, and it's much better to be you guys than me stuck in my classroom inservice on this BEAUTIFUL day! Good luck guys!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Sounds like a great hunt to me, even if you did miss! With the way Jeff talked you shouldnt have trouble getting on another gobbler. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it where me, I'd blame Jeff

Looks like rain all day for me, going to sit on a field all day. Sunday is perefect weather!!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Sounds like you and Jeff had an awesome day hunting those birds even though you didn't harvest your bird you still had fun.
I agree!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

If it where me, I'd blame Jeff

Looks like rain all day for me, going to sit on a field all day. Sunday is perefect weather!!!!
Just checked and it looks like the rain is gona cut off around 1am. Birds oughta be in the fields drying off tomorow. Im waiting for the clock to hit 2pm so I can get outa class. Cant wait.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

If he had only ONE spur I bet you would have drilled him dead center.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, I mentioned in the other post that someone (ahem Matt) suggested that you turn you string suppressor from where you like it. I think that made you lose your mojo.

Turn that thing back dude!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Quick Reply: Okay, the story on 10 ten reasons:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.