Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Earthquake starts the morning

Old 04-18-2008, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Earthquake starts the morning

Man what a morning, i had planned on some early morning turkey scouting but got more than i bargained for. It started about 4:45 am i believe, when the whole family was awaken by the house rockin and rollin from a 5.4 earthquake that lasted 30-40 seconds, according to the local news. We shot out of bed rounded up the kids and was headed ot the door, me in the tighty whites just a few objects fell out of place but that was about it. now the good stuff, after deciding it was all over and not being able to sleep again i headed for the turkey woods As soon as i started down a dirt road gobbles let out 60 yards in front of me There were also some gobbling about another 150 yards farther in the intended path i was going. I decided to take a detour through the woods to get between them to see where they were going after pitching down. It was still semi dark but something caught my eye at a small creek crossing, it was a shed from last year from a 2.5 buck slightly chewed on, ill take it After sitting down 40 yards off the dirt road between the gobblers, i started hearing two more behind me I sat there for about fifteen minutes while they were going crazy and decided to owl hoot, they gobbled but i heard something fly in behind me. then (who cooks for you, who cooks for yall) blaires out behind me, i had called in a love sick owl Minutes later i start hearing the birds start alarm putting, its a coyote walking in front of me down the dirt road, i cant help but make a kissy sound to see what he does he walks by but briefly comes back, cuts in the woods directly in front of me and is heading straight for me [X(]he walks within 10 yards of my boots and never sees me i was deciding if a rear naked choke with the hooks set in was the thing to do if he attacked, because im sure his stand up game was better than his ground game [8D]any way i figured out what way the birds were headed after pitching down and got to see some of Gods great creatures and sounds. I had an awesome morning, just wanted to share
peace out........blood
Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 AM

Default RE: Earthquake starts the morning

I felt it here in MO...It woke me up at 4:40 shook my place for about 30 seconds then I couldn't fall back asleep.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was just watching something on National Geographic channel or Discovery? (can't remember) but it said that there is a MAJOR fault line running out there around S. Illinois that causedweeks of earthquakes into the 8.0's in the 1800's maybe? ........but it was before there was anything to really damage.
They said that a really big one is only a matter of time and it is supposed to flatten St. Louis I think .[:-]

I have to see if I can find a link to the whole story it was really interesting. I guess the last big one out there was powerful enough to cause the Mississippi river to flow BACKWARDS. []

Yeah good luck with that.
Fork Horn

Sounds like a great morning Dan ! Felt the quake here too !
Giant Nontypical

Wow, glad to hear everyone is OK from the quake. That's one way to get yourself out of bed to do some scouting. LOL

It sounds like a great morning and you should be good to go when it's turkey time. BTW, a rear naked choke is hard to get the hooks in good with a dog. My lab is a master of the spin move.
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like quite the morning! I was sound asleep and didn't feel a thing! I'm McLean County though, long way from the epicenter. Good luck with those birds!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep here it is...........like I said good luck with that.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/04/0412_060412_earthquake.html

http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/12/14/when_not_if_when_will_the_big_earthquake_hit_the_m idwest.htm

http://staff.imsa.edu/~brazzle/E2Kcurr/Quakes/MidwestQuakes.html

Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt / PA..Gee, thanks Matt now my wife is really freaking out interesting read

HuntingBry..That Dog did not stand a chance, i have 42 years of pike county street fighting experience

Old 04-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's funny to hear someone talk about the New Madrid fault like that, Matt... as in, "I think I remember vaguely hearing something about that... let me go look it up."

I grew up 50 miles from the town of New Madrid, so it's just always been an ever-present part of our lives -- not that we really think about it that much. It's one of those things where you just don't realize that other people aren't as cognizant of it as we are.

Yeah, the quake woke my wife and me up this morning out of a hard sleep... Our oldest boy was awakened as well and came into our room. I've got a little square glass container sitting on my dresser in our bedroom that I put my jewelry in, and it rattled on top of the dresser for almost a minute. Tooka few minutes to go back to sleep after that.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL Don't feel bad.....As the crow flies I live about 12 miles from Three Mile Island Nuclear power plant..........if anyone is old enough to remember 1979 you realize I'm probably in as much danger as anyone on the planet . LOL

Quick Reply: Earthquake starts the morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.