Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spot and Stalk

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spot and Stalk

How many of you guys have successfully spot and stalked a whitetail with your bow? This is definitely a goal of mine and I feel if the conditions present themself it is definitely obtainable, on a doe atleast.

Two years ago I was in a blind and noticed the group of does I was hunting (it was late season and I was lookin to take one out of the herd) moving through the field to my left and werent going to make their way by my blind like they were supposed to! Anyway, I figured what do I have to loose. So I snuck out of the blind and snuck my way in front of them about 50 yards behind a fallen poplar where I knew they were going to cross. Only problem was my cousin decided to come barrelling down the ridge above me to "check to see if there were any deer in the field", ruining my hunt. It was a thrilling hunt nonetheless.

Anyway.. who has successfull stalked a deer, be it buck or doe, with your bow. Feel free to add your story and pics!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot and Stalk

I have had the pleasure RockinChair on more than a couple occasions. Most the time.. I have choosen not to shoot.. but on a few I've released. I tend to practice on alot of 1.5 yr olds...

This is the dude (buck) who bedded a short distance away in 06' from me with a doe. It was tough to get by the two of them.. but windy conditions and a little luck prevailed. An 8 yard shot through some thin waist high grasses put him down quickly.

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal_detail.aspx?nID=539

Best I've taken this way so far.. I know a few others on here have also taken some real dandys on a stalk.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

I do this alot with corn rows and pine tree rows...poke your head in a little look right and left then step through...so on and so fourth. I shot one deer doing so late saeason. It was laying down, stuck my head in saw it off to the right about 50 yards (it dint see or hear me). I slowly went down about 15 yards closer peeked in again and it was still there. Went to full draw steped half way through and shot...it ran only 50 yards but once it left the row I was in it took a while to find which way it went.

I have also walked in at deer under my stand and gotten with in easy shooting distance (45yards) but never saw a deer worth shooting.

Its alot of fun and a big rush.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to do this early in the season on my way out of the woods from a morning hunt, and on really windy days when the corn is up. I have never accually shot a deer doing this, but I have had lots of oppertunities, and many more blown oppertunities. I have learned that you can get away with an awfal lot of stuff sometimes and others, well,,,I don't know what I might have done to make every deer in the woods all snort and run off.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last season I had a big Doe try to hide by croaching down in a skidder rut @ 20 yards.
She stood up and I knocked an arrow, then pulled my bow back and let her go, as it was close to the end of legal shooting.
Plus - There was a 16 pointer caught on film and wanted the Doe and her fawns sticking around to hopefully lure the big guy in.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken a couple of whitetail does and a mulie buck spot and stalk. It is my favorite way to hunt, but midwest terrain isn't too friendly towards it with a bow.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stalked one this year and was succesful on a doe at 30 yards. It was awesome. The arrow went in through the boiler room, she ran 25 yards and fell over dead in less than 10 seconds. It was incredible to say the least. I don't like to spot and stalk around alot of my areas because I don't want to scent stink the place, but early in the season I try to go to places I normally do not hunt and try and stalk. It is my favorite way to hunt during the mid Oct. lull.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

In had the privledge of spot and stalking this guy this past year and got all of it on film except for the the arrow hitting the buck. He was down in a dry creek bed.. Walt
Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I was just in the 'How high do you climb??' thread, and then I saw this one.

All my hunting is either by ambush or spot & stalk. Hate to even think of how many times the deer have busted me and took off, but there has been a few times I slipped within range and got one. The closest one I ever got was by sneaking within 11 yards (not quite the 8 yd that dukemichaels got).

Nice buck, stikbow26.

Quick Reply: Spot and Stalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.