Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-21-2003, 03:05 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-21-2003, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Meat transportation

Freeze the meat well before hand, then use a sleeping bag filled with dry ice. It will keep the meat frozen solid for several days with no problem. Sleeping bags make great coolers in a pinch and you can " mold" the size to fit your needs.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:23 AM

Excellent suggestion 5shot.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:28 AM

great idea 5 shot I brought back moose and elk from Wyoming (37 hours) everything made it just fine.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look for an ice cream/dairy manufacturer in the area.I work for a dairy and we always have dry ice availiable.WARNINGon' t touch the stuff with your bare hands-it will burn instantly!
Old 02-21-2003, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Krisken, I have an Igloo94 that I bring on vacation in Aug down LBI.I freeze prepared food.( ex. stuffed cabbage,lasagna) ,bring frozen burgers,steaks,hot dogs, etc. Bring some up to the small refridge. and leave the rest in the van in the lot ,in the sun unfortunately,(cover the cooler w/blanket )in 90 degree+ heat and it still takes 3-4 days for the stuffed cabbage to thaw out so we can heat it up. so a drive home with frozen pork should not be that hard. also if you freeze it ahead of time you might want to take the time to wrap it into portions so as not to have to defrost and re-wrap at home. Good Luck and obey the speed limit. PS.as your passing through Jersey and you don' t trust the meat that might have thawed drop it off here. haha.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:06 AM

Dry ice is the way to go. The company we use in Omaha for Halloween and long road trips with coolers is like a natural gas company that also deals with hazardous chemicals which dry ice is nothing to mess with in large quantities. Throw a 5 or 10 lb. slab per cooler and everything will stay very cool or rock hard for a long time.

If you are wondering about the Halloween reference, you throw dry ice into a punch bowl of a party and you get a boiling, steaming witch' s brew kind of effect. Kids go crazy over it!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

you might also look for a butcher to freeze it for you for a few bucks. They can usually get things frozen much faster then a regular chest freezer.

The dry ice is the only way to go! that and/or gel packs. I' d put the dry ice right in the middle and wrap the hole thing in the sleeping bag though. I think both would work but it would make more sense to have the insulation all the way around what you are trying to insulate with the cooling source inside also then place the hole thing in the cooler then have a pile of meat with the ice on top. will it matter, dunno, but I dont think it would hurt either.......

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.