Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

I am thinking maybe 140"-150" in my area.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

Had a buck pushin 160 on the farm I hunt this year and he made it through the year so he should be boone this year hopefully. Seen a couple booners on or next to those farms as well over the years so there is always the possibilty for it to happen one day or even a buck hittin that 200" mark, they are around. Typical deer I could kill there would be 130-150fairly consistantly. WCL
Old 04-16-2008, 05:34 PM

It's gonna be hard to top what my biggest is honestly. I don't have him scored, but he has a 23" inside spread 4.5" bases and very tall tines, he is big, I may kill something close but don't know if I will top it, I loved to try though!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say in the area I hunt 120-140's are common every year. We have160-170's taken every few years. Therewas a 171 taken with in 5 miles of our camp this year.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any 170 or 180 class buck is top of the line. I have been lucky enough to get those. I had one tailing a doe one season that would of easily hit the 200 mark typical. He was just standing there behind her following her every move. Like an idiot I let out a grunt. That was the last thing the doe wanted is to have another buck giving her attention. She passed outside of shooting range. I really believe if i would have been silent she would of came down the trail I was on. Learn from my mistake boys. If you have one following a doe just be paitent and let her move at her own pace. So to finally answer your question I think a buck in the 200 range will fall to my arrow someday.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

He was just standing there behind her following her every move. Like an idiot I let out a grunt. That was the last thing the doe wanted is to have another buck giving her attention. She passed outside of shooting range. I really believe if i would have been silent she would of came down the trail I was on. Learn from my mistake boys. If you have one following a doe just be paitent and let her move at her own pace.
That's a tip to remember..

Follow the body language of the animal.. only react if needed too. The deer will tell you its intentions if you are looking for it.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

here in my area a 130" buck is very realistic,but because of some neighbors and myself passing on more smaller bucks that in a couple of years i think a 150" class buck woul be very realistic.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know 180"s is a very real possibility. I have seen one while on stand. The neighbor killed it the next day( scored 181+). And I saw one scouting last summer that the same neighbor killed with muzzeloaderlast year. He scored 186 gross.

There have also been 2 real monsters killed in the area. One about 6 or seven years ago scored 237 and another scored in the 260's. Here is a pic of the 260".

So 200" plus is not out of the question.

260"er

186"er

Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

On my lease inNC I'm thinking 120-130. However, I'm heading out to Illinois for the first two weeks in November this year so anything is possible.

Quick Reply: What caliber of whitetail do you foresee as a solid possibility in your future?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.