Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Animals?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Animals?

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

I have consumed both African Lion and Colorado Mt. Lion (it's the law). I have had the pleasure of dining on Elephant, Eland, Zebra, Croc, Alligator, Buffalo, Bighorned sheep, Mt. Goat...and the list goes on. At one point in my hunting career, I sort of felt there was no need to hunt African. you know, with all the game we have on North America...

Now, not only will I hunt N.A., I will make tremendous efforts to hunt Africa every other year until I die! I will try elsewhere on the off years (Asia for example). I am one who tends to think the world isn't flat- call it the Viking in me! You know, it's funny. I listen to you guys and I'm totally stumped.Why are ya'll so set in your ways?I mean, what is wrong with exploring beyond your own backyard? Are you afraid the boogie man is going to get you? Where's the Lewis andClark in you? I am sure, if given the chance, Daniel Boone would have swallowed a hippo. God knowshe ate plenty of beaver!

Zebra was one of the best meats I've consumed! I ate a skewered capybara (a gaint rodent) from the barbeque. Again, one of the best meats I have ever eaten! Heck, I'd even eat coyote if I were hunger enough.

Ok, now I want ya'll to cup your two hands in front of your body. Image how much meat would fit into those two cupped hands. Now, I want you to image how many people that amount of meat would feed in a month's time. Yep, in Africa, that amount of meat feeds a family for an entire month. I guess that's why I go to Africa to hunt. Many people benefit from my efforts...just because you don't eat it, it doesn't mean it goes to waste! It takes a tremendous amount of effort to be a conservationist.

The lion I killed and eat in Africa was a nine year old rogue female.For the previous three years, that particularlioness was going about killing every other lioness' cubs. Theconservation officers were delighted I killed her!The meat from the carcass was consumed, the money I spent pays for anti-poaching patrols, and more cubs will see tomorrow...win, win, win!

There is a time and a place for everything. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been told "you will never"! Keep an open mind, have fun, step out...enjoy your life!

If there's a reason to kill it, or it needs to be killed...... well, Iamyourhuckleberry!
Good Post!!! I think the difference that I find is that I don't have any desire to hunt animals with my bow that I could kill much more quickly and humanely with a gun. Elephant, hippo, and rhino's make that list. I understand the financial benefit of hunting to African countries and see nothing wrong with it, but it's not really my "cup of tea," therefore I'll stay right here in the good ole USA and do my hunting, less a trip every so often to Canada if the opportunity arises.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear what you are saying Doug. Heck, Africa seven years ago wasn't my cup of tea either. Since then I've been three times and will be there for a fourth trip this June. Not unlike hunting white-tailed deer here at home, Africa gets under your skin and into your blood! It's fun, it's exciting, but it costs money and takes time. It's not something you do over the weekend.

Whatcalls you toCanada, may I ask? Honestly, some of the hunts in Africa are less expensive than those north of the US border. Is there something so different there thatdraws you which cannot be foundelsewhere? They have fishing in Africa too... Is it the plane ride?

Certainly your choice of weapon will inflence your decision as towhich animals you have the confidencein killing. I personally havenever run up against something I felt I couldn't kill quickly or humanely with my archery gear. Moreover, there have been many that have gone before me who have proven it can be done.Just recently, a young lady drilled a bull elephantfrom 12 yards with a single arrow. A good friend of mine, Ricardo Longloria has killed elephant and hippos with bow and arrow(he green darted a rhino). He had the time of his life!

Quickly answer me this. If I pay all of your expensives for a ten day/ eight animalsafari, would you go?
Is it about the animals/adventure, or is it about the money?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had to laugh.....zebra, I know many guys don't want to shoot a "horse" personally I say, where does the line begin.....I'm not a big fan of horses, so shooting a zebra, can't wait! haha. I've also heard the opposite, many guys hate horses....or just al lthe bad experiences with horses, theyre ready to shoot a zeeb!

I really can't think of something I don't want to take with a bow, least not here in NA, africa however, I want to use a rifle first, then maybe down the road a bow, to me africa big game just is why rifles were built, so yes ill be bring guns to africa for my first hunt, not a bow.

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

It would be hard for me to kill a zebra, and maybe a wolf. I'm not sure.

A friend just got back from Africa, and said a zebra is JUST like a horse, even down to the smell. I don't like horses, but I don't think I'd shoot one.

My g/f's last name is wolfe[8D]And my school mascot is a huskie (and wolves look like them) Seems like a no-no.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't I like the idea of Elephants being shot with a bow? And no disrespect huckleberry, I just don't think it is nessesary!

I would never, never shoot a Party Animal with my bow! I really enjoy watching a party animal in its natural setting. I love the feelling I get watching a party animal do what it does best,,,,,Party! expecially a female Party Animal...God I love a good female Party Animal. Nope would never shoot one of those...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't I like the idea of Elephants being shot with a bow?I just don't think it is nessesary!
Can I ask why you feel this way? I mean, elephants need to be managed too, right? Do you like the idea of managing them with guns only? Or, would you rather not manage them at all?
No disrespect taken.....I like to know what people think and I appreciate open and honest debate.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:59 AM

a bird in the top of the tree
Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Huckleberry,
You have one of the best outlooks on this topic &I like to read what you have to say. You certainly make the most of trying to hunt a lot of different critters in a lot of different places.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

skunk . I don't want to deal with the smell. i don't know if you could ever get that smell off your arrow
Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched a Elephant bow hunt on tv and the Elephant was just standing there as the guy walked up to it, the Big thing just kind of dropped its ears and looked like a sad dog, the guy looked to be about 15 yards or so and the shot, the Elephant kind of walked off slowly and fell over dead after awhile. And the guy was like "OH BOY, I CAN'T BELIVE THIS", I thought it was nonsence.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

i wont shoot a zebra, wolf, imported exotics from africa (if their in africa completely different) or any fenced game

Quick Reply: What Animals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.