Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting is frustrating.....and then.....

Old 04-16-2008, 08:21 AM

Default RE: Hunting is frustrating.....and then.....

Yes, I feel pressured when I do get a chance to take someone hunting. I've had hunts go both ways, some with a kill and some without.

I've learned a lot the past 2 years hunting with my son.
I learned that it's difficult for a child to sit still and quiet for any length of time.
I learned that children get bored easily because they don't really "understand" hunting. They just want to do it.
I've learned that bringing a .22 along with the deer rifle and letting him shoot at squirrels is quieter than not having the .22 and him begging me to let him shoot one with the .243.
I learned that he pressures me more than anyone.
I've learned to deal with that pressure and a way to teach him to deal with the fact that there will not always be a kill at the end of each hunt and we might not even see anything.

I'm sure most people feel a little "pressure" when they bring someone hunting. Maybe it's more of an "anxious excitement" than it is "pressure". When I bring someone hunting, I really hope that they completely enjoy themselves, kill or no kill.

Waid
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I want to enjoy the journey on my way to the destination. The desire to reach the destination keeps me hunting in less than likely conditions. THere reaches a point where the journey becomes not fun, regardless of the destination payoff. And at that point, I leave the woods. I'm out there to have fun, and if I'm not having fun, I shouldn't be out there.

For a real life example, last season was horrible. Lots went wrong, I had a very difficult time with things. Even ifthe P&Y I was watchingas daylight faded on my last day would have strolled into range & I killed him, My season still would have been a bad one despite achieving my goal.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff I have had several HNIers join me on hog hunts. I know the pressure you are talking about. Although most saw hogs not everyone hashad successful hunts if you are only counting kills. I have made some good friends by having these guests. I talk to Ausie-guy almost daily,( so there are some drawbacks ), and I keep in touch with the other guys as well. Now that I have more places to hunt I'm going to look into having guests again. its fun and rewarding. As much as I'd like everyone to be successful I just don't have that much control over the situation. Keep that in mind and have fun. What better success is there than having fun with friends and/or family.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Without starting another thread.....do you guys feel "pressure" when you invite someone else in to hunt your grounds? I must admit.....I do a little. I tell almost all my hunting stories to you guys.....and though I don't embellish.....I also realize I'm fortunate enough to live and hunt in a place that affords me lots of opportunities.

I don't see a lot of game ALL the time.....but I live in fertile grounds. Blessing and a curse (in this instance). I KNOW he don't give a rat's ass........but I'd love to put him on one of our birds while he's here.

Jeff, I can relate, I always want to put my HNI friends, My brother, My cousin Scott, my Brother in law Mattetc.. on animals, if they don't kill one I can be hard on myself, because I truely want them to get one more than I want to kill a critter myself.. I like seeing guys happy, and sometimes I have to remind myself that they really do enjoy the hunt and the country even if they dont put their tag on a critter.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know exactly how you feel jeff. I love to hunt and do the killin but i get even more out of putting people in the position for a good hunt. I know damn well that no one i take hunting will really care if they get a shot as much as i care that they do....if that makes any since...

Often times im doing the same thing you are, wondering where to go, how to do it, what deke setup, etc... Pretty much gotta hope for the best and that the birds (and cows + donkeys) cooperate!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is somewhat like life itself. We all want to go to heaven (If you believe there is a heaven), but no one wants to die.

You can apply this to the hunting life as well. We sometimes want the outcome so bad that we miss the game altogether. In fact it is a game, is it not. To miss all the greatness of life to only reach the outcome, which is surely death to our mortal bodies, is most undesirable to me.

Not to get religious or anything, but I once read: If a man's hope is in this life only, what a miserable man he will be.

LT
Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Without starting another thread.....do you guys feel "pressure" when you invite someone else in to hunt your grounds? I must admit.....I do a little. I tell almost all my hunting stories to you guys.....and though I don't embellish.....I also realize I'm fortunate enough to live and hunt in a place that affords me lots of opportunities.

I don't see a lot of game ALL the time.....but I live in fertile grounds. Blessing and a curse (in this instance). I KNOW he don't give a rat's ass........but I'd love to put him on one of our birds while he's here.

Jeff, I can relate, I always want to put my HNI friends, My brother, My cousin Scott, my Brother in law Mattetc.. on animals, if they don't kill one I can be hard on myself, because I truely want them to get one more than I want to kill a critter myself.. I like seeing guys happy, and sometimes I have to remind myself that they really do enjoy the hunt and the country even if they dont put their tag on a critter.
Troy

I want a360 plus classbull. You better deliver dammit !! [8D] You are way too hard on yourself. You give110%. What more can you do?? I plan on having a good time reguardless of the outcome when I get out to hunt with you.

To answer gmmat question... yes I feel pressured to deliver when a friend comes up to hunt with me. I wantto put themwithin their "shootingrange "to have an oppertunity which theyalmost alwaysdo.If the oppertunitydoesn't havesuccessful outcome...that is out of my control. I don't beat myself up for that.

Tim