Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Morning or Afternoon, which do you feel is more difficult ?

Which do you feel is the more difficult time of day to hunt Wild Turkey, morning or afternoon ? Why ?
While the birds are typically more vocal here, early season, in the mornings......I'v not had much luck luring them into range. For this reason.....I'd say the mornings are MORE difficult. They also seem to want to get henned up rather quickly.....and follow the gals right off the roost (if they have hens with them).

Just my experience, so far.

Also, which part of Spring do you feel is the easiest and also the hardest to hunt Turkey and why ? Hunting pressure is just assumed, dont list that.
I think it must be easier to hunt them after the hens are nesting. It would make sense that there is FAR less competition for the toms. Again....limited experience, though.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, mornings can be tough because the hens dictate the movement so much.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know, I haven't really hunted into the evening, I've killed all my birds in the morning. So does that mean mornings are easier to hunt? [&:]
Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it depends upon what stage the turkeys are in, kinda like pre-rut and post rut....

I have had birds on the ground by 7:30 in the morning the first week of the season, before they get henned up...
This past Saturday, I called in a bird for my buddy and he killed it at 7:10am...This bird came running in to the decoys...

I have also called them in as late as 6:00 in the evening, when they were looking for a hen...

And...Just like during the rut, I have killed them in the middle of the day, after they left the hen they picked up in the morning and then went looking for another...I feel this is the best strategy after the first week or two, after everyone else has given up because they think the birds are either henned up or call shy...I do call less at this time and use more purrs, I also call softer...A good place to start this is where he picked up his hens in the morning, or a green field...

I try to stay in tune with the birds and time my hunts accordingly...
Old 04-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

We can only hunt evenings during the youth season here in ohio and i never have any luck. The turkeys just dont seem to gobble as much. I prefer the mornings in the early season because you can call to the hens, and try to bring them in. Once that hen starts coming in all the gobblers will follow her.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

First thing in the morning it can be difficult because they are hen'd up. IN PA, we must quit at noon as well however some of your best turkey hunting can be after the hens leave the gobblers. This can be anywhere from 9:00 to noon.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Mornings are by far easier in my opinion, if you are trying to call in a turkey.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.