Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever been a witness?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ever been a witness?

Last year I had the best hunt of my life......I took my daughter hunting and she got her first buck woth the 243 at age 7. I was more excited and happy then when I killed my biggest buck ever and she only shot a long horn spike. Before that I had done some videoing for my wife's cousin and it is just as exciting being a part of the hunt even if I am not the one harvesting it.....By the way good post....Good memories!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

too many times to even count...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i saw westernmdhardwoods kill a turkey... lol i was *TRYIN* to video tape.. well i had the turkeys comin in an had them in the camera view an all jus perfect then he shot an it scared the **** outta me an i hit the stop button... lol needless to say on the video u hear BANG then the screen goes blue....he wasnt real pleased about that....lol
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive seen my dad kill numerous turkeys, and way to many ducks and geese to count
Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called a gobbler in for a buddy of mine on his first turkey hunt and he got it! I think I was more excited then he was! that was a great day in th turkey woods!

Hatchet Jack
Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet post..

I have been a witness to many.....but pay close attention....

When I guided my brother on his first bow kill in 1997...a 6 pointer...My knees shook harder than any whitetail I had ever shot.....that tells alot about hunting ......and what its all about....its not about you....its about the experience....EMBRACE IT
Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Countless times for both turkeys and whitetails usually from behind a camera, sometimes just as a guide/caller.

I've been fortunate enough to be there for many first time youths taking their first gobblers, putting friends on birds and bucks with bows, flintlocks, rifles. I've had a very rewarding history in the woods and field.

One of my most memorable ones was with a youth. When we owned and operated an outfitting business here in PA, a father bought he and his 12 year old son a fall turkey/bow hunt. One evening I sat the father in a funnel after asking him if he'd mind if I sat with his son. He was thrilled. (IN PA youth has to be accompanied by an adult). I put the bow in a ladder stand and I put a loc on behind him in the tree for me. It was super foggy and we couldn't see very far. We were over a food plot. Suddenly behind me in the fog I heard a deep grunt. The boy didn't hear it and I said, Danny (as I handed his bow to him), get ready, there is a buck behind us in the fog and I'm going to call it in. He said where, I said get ready. I grunted.

Suddenly one hell of a buck came charging out of the fog and onto the loggin road that led to the field. I said, get ready Danny and I turned away and grunted. The buck charged into the field not 19 yards away. I watched as little 12 year old Danny drew on this 130" buck. I watched as he anchored and I watch in horror as the arrow went in front of the bucks chest. He took a couple bounces and stopped and looked back over his shoulder. This little professional 12 year old nocked another arrow and almost came to full draw as the buck watched him. He almost got a second shot when the buck looked out and saw a doe and away he went.

It was one of my most memorable hunts. The bow was so excited and so was his father. I got tipped very well after that hunt.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

i saw westernmdhardwoods kill a turkey... lol i was *TRYIN* to video tape.. well i had the turkeys comin in an had them in the camera view an all jus perfect then he shot an it scared the **** outta me an i hit the stop button... lol needless to say on the video u hear BANG then the screen goes blue....he wasnt real pleased about that....lol

Haha.... it wasnt the best thing that could have happened but ill get ya back this Wkend! Im gonna moon the video cam as soon as you shoot!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MdDave

That's miscommunication. When it comes to filming, the camera guy has the say when or when not to shoot. The shooter should never shoot without the say from the camera guy.

And once you say "take him", "shoot", "okay" or whatever, lightly take your hands off the camera assuming the bird is in the frame, when he shoots it won't jar you into shaking the camera, then you can grab it for the run off, flop or what not.

Blame him, no you for that.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob it was really no big deal. It was our first run at the whole video cam thing and we got rushed pretty much and MDdave was setup probably 20yds behind me calling, it all happened way too fast!! It was my first turkey and I was just excited enough to be able to get the chance, I was not too aware of the cam at all!!

Thanks for the tip though, we will have to remember that the next time were out!! Ill be running the cam this time..and will use your advice!

Quick Reply: Ever been a witness?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.