Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Really??? Right out in the open (Turkeys)

Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Really??? Right out in the open (Turkeys)

Turkeys seem to key on movement and movement only besides strange color. Compairing a deer to a turkey i think its all about memory and I don't think birds remember to well. Ducks are the same way. You can lay out in a weird lookin blind or stand in the middle of a decoy spread hunched over and be exposed but as long they don't see you move they never think anythign of it and come right to you. I think its just the nature of birds. An object in the open that doesnt move or make noise means nothing to them cuz they "know" its not naturally dangerous "programed in their minds". Also I think it comes down to smarts. Turkeys are not smart. I don't care who you are turkeys are not smart. They are however very spooky which makes them seem o so smart. They will run on the sight of the least bit of strange movement or sound (I've seen a deer sneeze scare a flcok before) but don't care about "insignificant" objects around them in their mind. Cuz to them its better to be safe and run if they think its danger and live another day weather they are right or wrong, than think to much and die......

Here is another point to consider about turkeys. How come they will attackthe dieing birdor stand out in a field after their partner has been shot by gun or bow? ...... I think its related to the first topic of movement. Loud noise typically isnt a threat to them unless they have been shot at before and know what the noise means but if a hunter is to get up after shooting and move the birds take off. So many times you see one bird shot the other one jump on it (instinctively to take their opertunity when a bird is injured to move up in the dominance rank) and the other gets shot also or has to be chased away by a hunter getting up and moving. WCL