Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disappointed in "Whitetail Freaks" tv.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Disappointed in "White Freaks" tv.

IMO I pretty much feelthat they "overlook" the bad hits and avoid metioning or highlighting them not for yours or my sake........they do it for your wife or non-hunting friend or neighbor sitting watching with you.
They are sensitive to showing an arrow hole in the deer's neck, or guts or kneecap because you know what your non-hunting neighbor's reaction is gonna be. [:-] "OMG, That deer had to suffer,that had to hurt, this sport is this that or the other bad thing"

They know you or I know "Stuff happens" but it's not something easily understood or portrayed positively in the short amount of time they have to someone who isn't familiar with the sport.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

But Matt, at that same thought a young hunter watching the same show thinks, cool I can take neck shots, that deer died quickly and I'd rather slightly offend a non hunter than promote a bad shot for a youth or novice hunter. It would easily have been portrayed that although this deer died quickly, the shot was less than desirable. That's honesty, that's real life and that's teaching the hunting and nonhunting population in a positive way.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just telling you why I think they do it........easier for the untrained eye to have no clue what just happened. They simply see a shot, a happy hunter and a dead deer. In their eyes that's easier than some lengthy discussion tiptoeing around trying to explain why the hit was bad, how you can hit deer where you shouldn't etc etc. and make it sound PC to everyone.
It's just never gonna happen.

Not saying it's right........that's just why they do it. They want the show to be entertaining to hunters and yet appealing or non offensive to non-hunters as well. They're not going to use the short time alotted to go into a potentially offensive CSI autopsy or analysis of why an arrow is in a deer's ass.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think goal is to keep young hunters away from TV, and in the woods
Old 04-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Disappointed in "Whitetail Freaks" tv.

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Just watched the show, a guy missed a giant buck, okay it happens, they talked about it.

Next shot he takes, beautiful buck, he hits it in the neck in front of the shouder. He "says" on film "he's down". Great, he got lucky. It could very easily gone the other way. I'm all for showing it like it happens but why not mention it, why not say something that "I took a good shot but made a bad hit that still resulted in a quick kill". After approaching the animal, why not mention the shot and lucky outcome and suggesting NOT to take such a shot and that it wasn't intentional? Stuff happens, bring light to it, point it out, eat humble pie and move on. Someone might just learn from the mistake.
Wow Rob! You took the words right out of my mouth. I couldn't wait to get home from shed hunting and post this very same story.

Both of those shots sucked. I agree, misses happen, but when you do 2 poor shots in a row, on film.............. at least admit that it was a less than desirable hit. Even make up an excuse for such a poor shot, like "I definately have to check my bow over because that is not where I was aiming". "The rest may have been knocked out of alignment".

Don't just let it go.

Another thing........ personally, I don't care much for the whole competition thing between hunters. It leaves plenty of room to take away from the hunt. IMO.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

They want the show to be entertaining to hunters and yet appealing or non offensive to non-hunters as well. They're not going to use the short time alotted to go into a potentially offensive CSI autopsy or analysis of why an arrow is in a deer's ass.
Then they failed at entertaining this hunter, in fact, I was less than entertained, all but offended. I found it pathetic. I would have praised them had they even mentioned it rather than waste time praising the hunters for what they did with the plot and film. They are already offending non hunters by the title of the show if that's what they were aiming Not to do. Rather than use the short allotted time to OVERLY glorify the filming, product marketing and food plot which 90% of hunters can't or don't do, they could have used that same time to educate both young and non hunters. I know what they are trying to do, I think they failed at it though.

Just one bowhunters perspectives.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

IMO I pretty much feel that they "overlook" the bad hits and avoid metioning or highlighting them not for yours or my sake........they do it for your wife or non-hunting friend or neighbor sitting watching with you.
They are sensitive to showing an arrow hole in the deer's neck, or guts or kneecap because you know what your non-hunting neighbor's reaction is gonna be. "OMG, That deer had to suffer,that had to hurt, this sport is this that or the other bad thing"

They know you or I know "Stuff happens" but it's not something easily understood or portrayed positively in the short amount of time they have to someone who isn't familiar with the sport.
Matt, I disagree. Untrained eye? My non-hunting wife could tell you when she sees a bad shot on tv and usually does if and when I rarely watch these shows. I don't have to point it out. At least be a little humble and even attempt to educate new or young hunters watching than say nothing or attempt to disguise the bad shot by blowing it off. In my opinion more damage is done by not doing so.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Anything with Lee and Tiffany is a joke. I was disappointed in Don and Candy Kisky getting involved in this mess. Had alot of respect for them before. Just another example of how people are selling their souls to be famos. Fred Bear's rolling over in his grave.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

Anything with Lee and Tiffany is a joke. I was disappointed in Don and Candy Kisky getting involved in this mess. Had alot of respect for them before. Just another example of how people are selling their souls to be famos. Fred Bear's rolling over in his grave.
Gee, you sound like me. I've been saying this since the first time I saw someone have to help Tiffany pull her bow back. LOL Sex sells and they're using it. Bimbos bought for business. Heck, my governor just got thrown out of office for that. LOL
Old 04-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

This show is a perfect example of formula T.V. Trying to make stars out of ordinary "yahoos" from down yonder. They all look and sound the same without any originality at all...BORING!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Disappointed in "Whitetail Freaks" tv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.