Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
See my arrow flight everytime
26.03%
Most of the time see my arrowflight
42.47%
Once in awhile see my arrowflight
23.29%
Never see my arrowflight
8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

See your arrow flight?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: See your arrow flight?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We had a big discussion about this when I was being told by many people that they always see their arrow impact their target.

I don't.

My bow's shooting +/- 300fps. I just don't see the impact, every time. I know this from shooting at live animals and in 3D.
Me too I have trouble seeing mine and where it hits the target! Rob normally tells me![8D]
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know the proper answer is "I don't see my arrow in flight." Watching the arrow fly is bad form and all that... But I love watching arrows fly. IMO, it's a beautiful thing. I hate bows that are so fast that I can't see the arrow. Absolutely HATE them. I'd rather shoot rifles and pistols instead.

Someone once called watching arrows in flight 'the ecstacy of expectation' and you can only experience it if you're shooting arrows that move relatively slowly. Even though you're pretty sure the arrow is going to hit right where you aimed, you have this moment of doubt and hope until it plops right in there, and then the doubt is instantly replaced by gratification. I reckon most guys who've started shooting in the past 20 years have never experienced either of those feelings. Oh, you get gratification from a well executed shot whatever the arrow speed, no doubt, but that moment of hope and doubt is an incredible intensifier for the effect.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I learned a long time ago when I shot field and target archery that one of the least important things in archery is seeing the arrow in flight. Tune the equipment well and arrow flight is good. Other than that the best thing you can do is concentrate on aiming and let the bow shoot the arrow. The arrow will go where you are aiming. If you concentrate on seeing the arrow then you are not aiming. Aim the bow, concentrate on where you want the arrow to hit and have confidence in your ability and your equipment and you may see the arrow going. If you don't then it should be where the pin was when the bow went off.
X2, Once the release goes off I am more concerned with follow through than seeing the arrow in flight.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I know the proper answer is "I don't see my arrow in flight." Watching the arrow fly is bad form and all that... But I love watching arrows fly. IMO, it's a beautiful thing. I hate bows that are so fast that I can't see the arrow. Absolutely HATE them. I'd rather shoot rifles and pistols instead.

Someone once called watching arrows in flight 'the ecstacy of expectation' and you can only experience it if you're shooting arrows that move relatively slowly. Even though you're pretty sure the arrow is going to hit right where you aimed, you have this moment of doubt and hope until it plops right in there, and then the doubt is instantly replaced by gratification. I reckon most guys who've started shooting in the past 20 years have never experienced either of those feelings. Oh, you get gratification from a well executed shot whatever the arrow speed, no doubt, but that moment of hope and doubt is an incredible intensifier for the effect.
I miss those days of the 35 lb recurve at the 80 yard targets!