Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting 1 buck= waste of time?

Old 04-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Hunting 1 buck= waste of time?

I did it once and itis my best memory.But to be honest when he was coming in I didnt think it was him I said to myself I am going to shoot that one anyway.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've done it numerous times but yet have I been successful. Here's the catch though, on some of the bucks I've been after allot of them times that particular buck ended up being smaller then what I was hoping or thinking he was going to be when I did get him in range so I would let that particular buck go, thus I guess I was still successful on a few of the bucks I was after but still didn't shoot being they were in that 120" to 125" range which is just a tad under what I want. The 140" bucks and higher have kicked my but pretty good with me trying to hunt that one particular buck. The 140" buck I got this year I wasn't after, heck I didn't even know he existed. I don't think its a waste of time at all hunting just one buck, a person learns allot (at least I do) trying to target that one deer. Its allot of fun and sometimes you end up shooting a bigger buck then what you were after to begin with.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Although I took a buck I'd been after for a while, last year......two things come to mind:

1. I wasn't exactly sure it was "him" until I got him home and reviewed some trail cam photos.

2. I would have taken any other buck that I deemed to be a "shooter" for my woods if he hadn't given me the opportunity.

Kudos to those of you who have even attempted this. It's a heckuve pursuit and a lofty goal to try and achieve.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Bartender

With plenty of tags here in Wi I can wait for Mr. Mature and still have meat in the freezer.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a waste of time at all. Its been very rewarding and the best lessons I have ever learned about whitetails is from researchingspecific deer.Some I kill some I neversee again, some are still walking around out there right now. Pumps me upjust thinkingabout the buck or few bucks I would like tokillthat "made" it this winter.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: racewayking

I have a story to go with it that is freaky.
Tell us! Tell us!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

I've been successful a few times at hunting a specific buck, most times not. But as others have said it is very rewarding and quite the challenge most of the time. If you get lucky and do get a chance at him early its great. In all honesty it can be a lot of work since you are putting eveything into taking the "one"..........but its lots of fun trying!!!! Waste of time never, but be prepared for a little frustration to set in if all the hard work and patience doesn't pay off.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only you can answer if its a waste of your time....if you don't get him. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:48 PM

It may be considered wrong to some people, but I was taught at a very young age to hunt one deer, and not necessarily the biggest. The problem is weeding out all of the thousands of other deer that seem to want to show up when you're hunting someone else. It is worth the time, and sometimes I don't even need to squeeze the trigger.

Quick Reply: Hunting 1 buck= waste of time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.