Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quiksilver and I were talking and I would like to know??

Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quiksilver and I were talking and I would like to know??

My bad. I stopped reading after I read that he was "sitting there wandering".
Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 PM

I'm not sure how light you are talking about, but there are a lot of factors to be considered.
For one, I think the laminated limb bows can take a lot more punishment than solid limbs.
Look at Hoyt's limb tests. They dry fire a bow , what ...10,000 times.
Also HC lets you shoot an arrow down to 3gr/lb. and still warranty the bow. Again Laminated limbs. Barnesdale's are one of the best out there.

I wouldn't be afraid to go slightly below 5gpp at a lower poundage like 60 - 62 or less. But I'd be afraid of the strings blowing off my bow at 70lbs. w/ too much less than 5gpp. It's not so much the limbs , but the result when the cables and strings let loose, and cause reciprocal damage.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

At 5 grains per pound you will be Ok. I think as a hunter most people would be happier with a slightlyheavier setup. Medium weight arrowsare a very good choice for most setups, but you will always have those who go to both extremes. I have arrow setups that weigh from 330 grains to 500 grains, all to shoot out of my 60# Bows.

Dan
Old 04-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I was shooting 330fps on a 62# set-up with 327gr arrows. My arrow had plenty of spine, though......and I shot well enough with this set-up (w/ a < 1 FOC) to win with it.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Back when the first generation of wrapped carbon arrows came out - I blew up a few of them, and honestly - I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself. The funny thing is that theparticular shafts that I boughtwere spined a little on the heavy side - just real pieces of ****.

Beman ICS.

I went back to Lincoln Log Aluminums for a long time before I got the nerve to shoot carbons again. They've come a long way in the past 10 years.

So, like I said - it wasn't a spine problem. It was a sheer lack of durability.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was still working at the shop I bet we sold 40-50 dozen Speed Pro Max's per year. Out of all those, I never heard of a problem. Most of them produced finished arrow weights 275-325 grains.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

For some reason I have never had this issue[8D]
I have seen a few explode,LOL

I think it's a combination, light arrow, one who shoots a lot, poor limb design. Limbs have got way better since the 90's.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

For some reason I have never had this issue[8D]
I have seen a few explode,LOL

I think it's a combination, light arrow, one who shoots a lot, poor limb design. Limbs have got way better since the 90's.
My limbs have gotten much worse since the 90's, especially my left leg in the hip area. I think that thing is gonna explode(I hope not).
Old 04-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had a Hoyt MagnaTec with a built-in overdraw, command cams, 75lbs and 33" draw. Shooting 29" GoldTip 7595's that weighed right at 400 grains, 5.3 grains per pound, which was VERY light for my draw length and the bow's performance rating. Never blew it up, but I had to replace the axles several times one 3D season because they kept getting bent.

Switched to using 2315 aluminums at about 520 grains, 6.9 gpp, and never had any more trouble. I wasn't impressing anyone with my arrow speed any more, and it opened up my pin gaps a bit past 30 yards, but it didn't keep me from hitting what I aimed at. I won't go much less than 7 grains per pound again.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I played with it some, never been underspined, but I was on the edge. The fact I have a long draw length and like to shoot around 70 pounds doesn't make for a good combo with a typicallightweight arrow. I was inaccurate, the bow was noise, and the arrows didn't flyworth a beans either becasue they were very low FOC.For me alightweight arrow that flys good and strait with goodFOCis between 420-450 grains, when for most archers its between 330-370 IMO. Bottome line it all comes down to size (DL) and the way your bow is set up,