Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North American Super Slam

Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: North American Super Slam

Don't get discouraged Huntingson, I for one plan to complete most of the slam.....by drawing the tags etc....and hopefully predominately if not completely with a bow.

I know the tags/odds are tough, but I for one plan/expect to draw a desert bighorn tag, if not 2 tags! Who knows what changes the future may turn....better odds.....keep at it! I'm fairly young so I have another good 60yrs of applying though....I certainly plan to draw a desert during those 60yrs, and if I draw one by luck fairly soon, I plan to reapply and draw another! also my dad applies, so if he were to draw one that's almost good enough in my book, like one of us got one.....

There are a few animals I'm not sure I want to hunt though......so to each their own, completing the slam just to say the slam, vs all that you wanted.....which is more important? ie a walrus? a polar bear? I'm not sure I want to shoot either of those.

Sure some hunts require a guide/outfitter, I know sheep isn't a high success hunt either, so speaking of those discount stone sheep hunts at $15,000, lots of sheep guys go 4-5times before harvesting. I think the best you can do is draw the tag....apply everywhere do your best and complete most of the slam.

Also, I feel like if you want something and all it takes is more money, then you either can say hey I can't afford it, or you can make it happen, some may say you live in dreamland.....but I truly believe if money is your goal, its very possible to make more money.....though quality of life etc....may go down/affect other areas of your life. Also saving/spending can have big impacts on your finances. Also maybe in time if you can find a local say for stone sheep and have him guide you....ie just a local guy hunting there, may be a chance at that.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:54 PM

It may be a mute point in a couple of months anyway (USF&W has a pending decision on polar bear status). Polar bears are over $40K now and if the greenies have their way they'll be listed as endangered and you won't be able to import the hide/skull back into the US (again!). If Canada folds to the pressure and follows suit ending the polar bear hunt, then nobody will be doing a Super Slam again...
Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW!!, What an eye opener, i did not realize so much $coinwas involved. Id say just a dream for most. Id be happy to get the opportunity at an Elk or black bear.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate these importing laws.....same goes for Jaquars I believe.....in many countries....in central america I believe, there are alot of jaguars......if all legal etc...I dont see the problem.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

desert bighorn......$50k

polar bear.....$30-40k

stone/bighorn.....$20-30k.....

many of the hunts are expensive......

a moose in canada/alaska......a brown bear......

few hunts are under $5000 anymore.....for a quality big game specie.....think of an elk? carbiou.....in the US, I think you can still hunt an antelope for $2000 maybe, but for trophy animals and a quality hunt, few hunts are left out there under $5000 IMO, also even some antelope hunts etc.....can be $4000-5000

Ithink you can do most in the US DIY for far cheaper, but most other hunts will cost ya.

We need a DIY US slam......or just a US slam.....

or the "real mans'/affordable slam"
Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim,

Never say never! Where there's a will, there's a way. I have lived my entire life around that premise! Your goals will constantly evolve. That's ok...push forward! Before you know it, the "gold" will be in your purse! Find a way! Counting "coup" with a camera is free...90% ofthe fun is just being there!

Someday I am going to write a book... "Hunting The World on aPoorman's Budget".

Fifteen down...
[align=left]
[/align][align=left]Cougar (or puma, or mtn. lion)[/align][align=left]Alaskan brown bear[/align][align=left]Grizzly bear (common or b.g.)[/align][align=left]Polar bear[/align][align=left]black bear[/align][align=left]American bison[/align][align=left]Muskox (b.g. or greenland)[/align][align=left]American mountain goat[/align][align=left]Dall sheep[/align][align=left]Stone sheep[/align][align=left]Rky Mtn or CA bighorn sheep[/align][align=left]Desert bighorn sheep (applied for in 2008)[/align][align=left]Pronghorn[/align][align=left]Rocky Mountain elk[/align][align=left]Roosevelt elk[/align][align=left]Alaska-Yukon moose[/align][align=left]Canada moose[/align][align=left]Shiras moose (applied for in 2008)[/align][align=left]Alaska-Yukon b.g. caribou[/align][align=left]Mountain caribou[/align][align=left]Quebec-Labrador caribou[/align][align=left]Woodland caribou[/align][align=left]Rocky Mountain mule deer[/align][align=left]Desert mule deer (applied for in 2008)[/align][align=left]Columbia black-tailed deer[/align][align=left]Sitka black-tailed deer[/align][align=left]White-tailed deer[/align][align=left]Coues white-tailed deer[/align][align=left]American alligator[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align]
I would love to have someone along to help split the gas money!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 AM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Jim,

Never say never! Where there's a will, there's a way. I have lived my entire life around that premise! Your goals will constantly evolve. That's ok...push forward! Before you know it, the "gold" will be in your purse! Find a way! Counting "coup" with a camera is free...90% ofthe fun is just being there!

Someday I am going to write a book... "Hunting The World on aPoorman's Budget".

Fifteen down...
[align=left]
[/align][align=left]Cougar (or puma, or mtn. lion)[/align][align=left]Alaskan brown bear[/align][align=left]Grizzly bear (common or b.g.)[/align][align=left]Polar bear[/align][align=left]black bear[/align][align=left]American bison[/align][align=left]Muskox (b.g. or greenland)[/align][align=left]American mountain goat[/align][align=left]Dall sheep[/align][align=left]Stone sheep[/align][align=left]Rky Mtn or CA bighorn sheep[/align][align=left]Desert bighorn sheep (applied for in 2008)[/align][align=left]Pronghorn[/align][align=left]Rocky Mountain elk[/align][align=left]Roosevelt elk[/align][align=left]Alaska-Yukon moose[/align][align=left]Canada moose[/align][align=left]Shiras moose (applied for in 2008)[/align][align=left]Alaska-Yukon b.g. caribou[/align][align=left]Mountain caribou[/align][align=left]Quebec-Labrador caribou[/align][align=left]Woodland caribou[/align][align=left]Rocky Mountain mule deer[/align][align=left]Desert mule deer (applied for in 2008)[/align][align=left]Columbia black-tailed deer[/align][align=left]Sitka black-tailed deer[/align][align=left]White-tailed deer[/align][align=left]Coues white-tailed deer[/align][align=left]American alligator[/align][align=left][/align][align=left][/align]
I would love to have someone along to help split the gas money!
I'll buy the gas and the food to have a chance to hunt with ya.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anytime Roy!

I've said it a million times..."my door isalways open"! I rely on my hunting brothers. They can surely rely on me! There have been countless times where I've been pushing hard through the night. The drive was long and I was solo. It would have been nice to have a buddy along.

Jim, what can I do to help? We have 10 of the 29 species here and I have made awesome contacts for most of the remaining species. Let me know, will ya?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ever since reading Chuck Adams, Super Slam, i too have had this a goal of mine. It does take a large amount of money to accomplish this feat, but you only live once and you surely arent going to be on your deathbed and say, man i wish i saved more money. If you plan well and think things through, it is possible to find some "deals" on some of these more expensive hunts.

Rememeber that even the worlds longest journey starts with one small step. Right now my goal is to take representative for each species. After that then i can go back and start knocking off the other species.

Iamyourhuckleberry, if you ever need a partner, ill be happy to go. Like you said, half the fun is just being there!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Chuch Adams had a nice sponsor to help him. Get the ones you can on your own. Write some stories and submit them to some magazines to try and get the word out on all the animals you have harvestedalready.Then maybea companywill notice what you have done and offer to help you out.

Darrall Dougherty

Quick Reply: North American Super Slam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.