Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North American Super Slam

Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: North American Super Slam

ORIGINAL: nodog
He told me of a guy who at an auction bid 800,000 for a dall sheep tag and won, he however didn't fill it. The next year he bid 600,000 and won this time filling it.1.4 mil no big dealLOL

It could happen, you aint dead yet.[8D]
Oh, that's all it is? And I thought it was beyond the average hunter
Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

Yeah unfortunately more and more of that stuff is just dreams for your average feller. Just need to learn to be satisfied and appreciate that you get to hunt what you hunt (as you already are). I sure dont see it becoming cheaper either.

Otherwise make up your own slams. I for example took the MN Squirrel Slam last year. Taking the Grey, Fox, and Pine squirrels all on the same October afternoon. All it cost me was a small game license and 4 (yeah missed once) .22 shells. I've never seen that in any record book and can promise you Chuck Admas cant touch me on it. Come join me at the top my firend.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The sheep hunters are a rare breed. Having experienced a Desert Bighorn hunt recently I know that this is not a hunt for the Average Joe; both physically and financially. (assuming you do it fair chase).
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good friend of mine dida stone sheep last year, and played NFL ball, said this hunt was harder than anything he had done.

No doubt the money is becoming pretty sick...just look at a whitetail hunt in the U.S. and those things aren't even rare/scarce!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Completing the N.A. Slam, the African Slam, the Spring Grand Slam: All these are accomplishments that speak more to a man's financial wherewithal than they speak to his hunting prowess.

Just my .02
Old 04-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

quik, do a few sheep hunts then get back to us.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Completing the N.A. Slam, the African Slam, the Spring Grand Slam: All these are accomplishments that speak more to a man's financial wherewithal than they speak to his hunting prowess.

Just my .02
I agree, since you added the word MORE. It takes both, but I think money is the bigger player too
Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

James, I have never been on a sheep hunt so I cannot speak to the hunting, but assuming it is just as difficult as stalking deer or elk with a bow (and it sounds much harder)then the chance for coming home empty handed is pretty high. That means that not only do you have to go on the hunt, but you probably have to go on it a couple/three times just to get a ram.

What has made me think of this is Fred Eichler completing his slam. I know he had to hunt brown bear a couple times, stone sheep a couple times, and I am sure the list goes on. Without sponsors, I don't see how that would ever be possible.

I think my more realistic slam is one of each major species and not worry about the sub-species. That in itself is a hefty goal I think.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

JV - I can do a guided turkey hunt and walk the guy until he's damn near exhaustion and ready to quit...Conversely,I've guided guys with markedphysical limitations, so we have toswitch up the style, and hunt areas with reasonable access and opportunities that they can handle. Both methods are comparably successful, if you hunt smart.

A good guide will "save" certain hunts for clients with special circumstances (or higher prices).

Just like anything else - there's most surely more than one way to skin a cat - and I'm sure not everybody who's ever killed a goat has had to traverse the Rockies on footto do it.

If you've got enough financial firepower - there's somebody, somewhere who is more than willing to do what it takes to put you in a target-rich environment and make something happen.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's my belief that the majority of sheep or mountain hunters that are successful are guys put in the effort. They do a little more then shell out thousands of dollars. These are difficult hunts.

But, the common misconception comes from thethe fewguys out there that will spend a month in a helicopter to try to shoot one sheep. Or the misconception of the old bastard that decides to shoot a desert sheep in a high fence, making it look like all it takesis a buttload of money and no physical labor.

Be back in a couple hours, got to look for sheds before the snow comes.

Quick Reply: North American Super Slam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.