Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

I find myself looking for ways to ADD challenge to my hunting with the bow. I don't see this as a "stage" (just a teaser in the thread header).....and not even a "progression". Just something I find intriguing.

I'll head into the woods with a longbow for deer this year.......and "possibly" for turkeys, too. I know if I take a bird with the compound this year.....it'll likely be my last with the wheelie bow....OR.....my last from a blind w/ the compound. I also see a day when my compoud bow sees little action......if any.

I still see the taking of a whitetail deer......as a huge challenge and accomplishment....and this isn't meant to diminish that feat.

With all the technology flooding our passtime (bowhunting)......who is lookingat new endeavors/challenges/etc.... and explain them.....and "why"?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I find myself looking for ways to ADD challenge to my hunting with the bow. I don't see this as a "stage" (just a teaser in the thread header).....and not even a "progression". Just something I find intriguing.

I'll head into the woods with a longbow for deer this year.......and "possibly" for turkeys, too. I know if I take a bird with the compound this year.....it'll likely be my last with the wheelie bow....OR.....my last from a blind w/ the compound. I also see a day when my compoud bow sees little action......if any.

I still see the taking of a whitetail deer......as a huge challenge and accomplishment....and this isn't meant to diminish that feat.

With all the technology flooding our passtime (bowhunting)......who is lookingat new endeavors/challenges/etc.... and explain them.....and "why"?

Jeff, when it comes to the traditional/tech viewpoints of hunting, I'm torn. I'm a technology freak even outside of archery, and always have been. I'm a TECH ED teacher for crying out loud I truly respect those who head to the woods with nothing but stick and string, and even more so if they do that and get it done year in and year out. There's something to be said for those who take on the "primitive" approach to hunting especially in today's world of high-tech gadgetry. However, I don't love all the technology of compounds and their accessories for the "hopefull" advantage they might bring in the field, I just love to tinker, and learn about bow technology. I'm still at the point in my hunting career where bowhunting with a compound is very challenging for me. However, I'm with you on the lack of turkey blind (never hunted with one, nor have I even taken a bird yet), but if/when I do, it will be without a blind...not so much because I'm against it, I'm just too cheap to buy one
Old 04-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first guy to get a deer with this, get's my salute.

But Honestly, I guess I can kinda understand the growing contigency to go Traditional, to some extent. But I'll be odd man out, as it holds no appeal, what-so-ever to me. My challenge remains harvesting better bucks.

Don't jump me, I'm not knocking traditional (or any legal method). But, give me technology, and all the gadgets that go along with it!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

And on to the nextchallenge to be conquered.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Let me get one on the ground with the traditional bow, Bob.....and I'll be better suited to tell you where I'm headed.....lol.

It's kind of the same as turkey hunting with the shotgun v. bow. The shotgun holds no interest for me, anymore. Nothing against it....honestly. it's a different style of hunting and holds its' own challenges and appeal. Just not for me (anymore). Been there.....done that.

When Schultzy, Bobco, et. al. head into the woods with their equipment.....they're reserved to the fact (and content, I assume) that they are limiting themselves via their choice of tackle. I just see that day coming. I've got a few things I'd like to do beforehand.

I honestly have no idea why this would bother you.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

If your proficient with with the long stick, whats the difference? If your not than hunting with it shouldn't be considered. You will figure that out when you get past stage two.j/k
Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do find the allure of traditional gear intriguing, but right now my challenge is focused on getting bucks that are more challenging to shoot than what I've shot in the past. I don't think that challenge will ever get "easy" for me so there should be plenty to keep me busy there. Not to mention I've just thrown the challenge of capturing video into the mix, so there is no end in sight to the challenges that await me.

The nice thing about PA is since there are some antlerless only seasons there is a nice opportunity for me to try to cut my teeth on traditional gear. So, who knows what will happen.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

If your proficient with with the long stick, whats the difference? If your not than hunting with it shouldn't be considered. You will figure that out when you get past stage two.j/k
Rob and I have talked about this, Chris. To an extent.....you are 100% correct. If you're proficient from 20yds.......you're proficient.....regardless of the tackle.

The difference (for ME) lies in the level of work required to become proficient with each. Hence the allure (again, for ME).

Stage 2.......by default in lieu of by design. I accept that.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly have no idea why this would bother you.

It does not bother "me" in the least. I just hope you don't go thru the rest of your life like that. Life is not about conquering challenges alone Jeff. Have fun dude.

LT
Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff I really feel you are searching for some thing,I'm not sure what it is? But you are searching .
You've bought more bows in 4 years than I've owned in a life time. I'm on the second kind of broad head I've ever used, I own 5 of the same summit tree stands.
Your need for constant change baffles me.[8D]
The animals I hunt are where I findmy challenges. Maybe the idea of getting one buck tag per year has put a greater sense of accomplishment in that single success than the unlimited opportunities that you enjoy.
Success comes to each of us in many different times,forms & places.

Good Luck in your adventures, Jim

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.