Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

I still think it's wrong to hunt for the challenge. That's just me, not trying to convince anyone otherwise. It would be like telling someone to not vote for Obama b/c he is black, when in fact that is exactly why they may vote for him. Is it wrong? Yep, will I and have I told them? you bet. Does it change their mind? not in the least. Opinions, some are good some are bad, and some just don't matter, you need to figure out which one mine fits under..
Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Theseis yourquote, VA.

“I have to agree with him that hunting is personal, and that we cannot dictate our values to others.”
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM

the first maybe me, the second absolutley not me.. Never called myself a trophy hunter. you need to research that one. and also, Im not telling in one on here how to hunt or for what reasons to hunt, Im just telling i think it is wrong to hunt for the challenge, I stand by my statement. Please go back and see if I wrote that second statement, if I did, then I will stand corrected. I just do not ever recall me saying I was a trophy hunter.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Amended.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Jeff what thread was that from? I don't believe I have ever said that I was a trophy hunter on this board ever. Did you find it??
Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I already amended it.

I think you guys are trying to spin this into meaning something it doesn't come close to. I'm wanting to try some new things. If the intent of that is to challenge myself.....then so be it. I don't approach deer hunting the same way I do a game of billiards at the local watering hole. I've said it before....I'm not wired that way.

MANY, MANY people have come into this forum and stated they were going to try different things to challenge themselves. It's how a lot of people tick.

Does it mean I think this isn't challenging (what I'm doing, now)? No. I stated that in the thread opener, too.

If you never raise the bar.......how do you know how high you can jump?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you never raise the bar.......how do you know how high you can jump?
Where would the bar be if you were allowed one deer per year ?

One buck and one doe?

Would there be this question at all ?

Would there be as many of you as there is now if your state was one & you are done ?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Where would the bar be if you were allowed one deer per year ?
About knee high.

Would there be as many of you as there is now if your state was one & you are done ?
I have no idea what that means[8D]

Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM

Jeff, in all due respect, I think many of us on here feel that you are pushing those limits too fast. Let it happen naturally. You were a duck hunter and you say were good at it, and you lost the love for it or didn't see as a challenge anymore?? I don't know. Anyway, I understand that being the best or going full steam ahead is how you tick, but this is bowhunting, not darts or any other hobbie, what is the rush? Take it in stride man, let all the peices come together on their own. You don't have to be the best at this, not that you said you wanted to be, but I know your personality, it's a lot like mine. I have not had this approach to hunting thank God, but I have with just about everything else in my life, bodybuilding, college, bass fishing, etc.. I just think and I believe I speak for many others, that you need to listen more and swallow some pride, man, most of us have been hunting deer a very long time, and we ask for advice and help alll the time, hell, I have asked for your opinion on many occassions. I listen to the people on here and if it something I don't agree with, then I let them know, and that's all I can do. But I wouldn't ask someone for their opinion and then not listen to their response. All I am saying Jeff is to realx man, this is supposed to be fun, yet taken seriously at the same time, but to try and achieve what you are trying to achieve in such a short amount of time is really just setting yourself up for burnout or major dissappointment. You and I have never had problems and this reply is not ment to start them now, but you can take it anyway you want, I respect what you have done in such a short time, but I also think you havemany more years to go before you understand completely how this brotherhood works.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

First, brknarrow, Alla, Amen, !!!! you hit it on the head. Sooner, couldn't agree more. If someone wants to hunt with a recurve let them, they may see it as a challenge, but they may see it as a connection to the weapon. It's like saying that a compound is more challenging than a crossbow, is it? maybe, but then we get into elitism. It may be a connection the crossbow for someone . Do I think trad is harder than compunds, absolutlely and I say it on here often. I began shooting a bow at the age of 10, my first bow was a recurve, I could group well at 20 yds when I was 12. I picked up a compound when I was 14, and never went back. But I think if you ask Schultzy why he hunts with a trad bow, he will tell you that it's about the connection with the weapon, it just feels rightfor him to do it this way. Will he say it's more challenging? maybe, but he will also tell you that he is no more or less of a hunter b/c of his weapon. I really just don't of hunting for a challenge, I mean change it up, make it interesting if you have to, but don't say that you need a challenge out hunting. If you need a challenge, climb Everest!!
Vabowman,
I hunt with a recurve because it fits me much better as a hunter and who I am. I can't stand all the gadgets they have on these bows these days, but thats just me and I don't put down anyone else who uses them unless there going to take stabs at me then its game on. I use to hunt with a compound and I loved it. As time went on I wasn't enjoying it as much. When they came out with the releases and legalized them I said to myself I'm done with it. I personally didn't like the direction they were headed and I figured it was time to change it up. I've got some great friends that shoot compounds with all the gadgets on them, we goof around and poke fun at each other, thats what its all about! My dad has shot Traditional bows for years so for me switching over was pretty simple being I had a great mentor and I was also shooting these recurve's at 3 years old so It wasn't nothing new to me for shooting, Just new for hunting which is a big difference then just shooting these bows! I know its made me a better hunter being I'm more patient and smarter being I need them animals that much closer to me for shooting. I've still gotta figure out how to get them 4.5+ bucks from that 30 yard range to that 15 to 20 yard range. Any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.