Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

I still see the taking of a whitetail deer......as a huge challenge and accomplishment....and this isn't meant to diminish that feat.
I said this in my original post.

But if people were honest (I think)....they'd say that the pursuit of the mature buck vs. taking the juvenile is ALL about the challenge.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I just like humble people I guess, I think it is wrong to go about hunting as a game of challenge that needs to be mastered. I may be wrong, but I will believe this til I die. Let me say it this way, hunters are a band of brothers, everyone is welcome, most of us have earned our stripes with great dedication and disappointment over several years, sometimes we are rewarded but most of the time we are not, with an animal that is. I began hunting for the love of the woods and nature and for the occasional kill if I were so blessed, I still hunt for the same general reasons I did when I was 12, I love the freedom and possibilties. Hunting is not about mastering or conquering game, it is not all for the challenge, it is for the love of our tradition and history of mankind. If you think Im wrong fine, I think your wrong, so what, that is how most of the world is, my feelings are not hurt, Im not angry. Very thick skinned!!
Excellent, I remember when I was real young walking the woods with my Pops thinking how could you kill an animal dad??? Then he explained it to me! I've seen my dad come home for years without even seeing a deer in the 2 weeks he was up hunting. Never missed opening day for 50+ years until he passed away 2.5 years ago, sad opening day breakfast for all of us! I too love the tradition aspect of it! I never thought about it but some folks never had that, they started later in life, and some on their own!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's also the "in" thing to do now, and it's easier to do now then it has ever been (25 years ago you might not see a buck during the season), It's all you see on TV and read about in mags so some people feel they are inferior if they aren't in the wooods for a trophy.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good post bowhuntingfool.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think for most of us, that (a mature buck) in itself is enough of a challenge. Even if you succeed one year, can you do it again? I've shot deer with everything I own except my handgun. Would I like to do that? Yes, but I'm not going to go out with it and try to bag a giant. I'll take a doe with it some day and be satisfied. But I'll continue to carry my compound until I can't pull it back anymore because I get 4 months out of the year to be in the woods.

I love a challenge as much as the next guy, but I look elsewhere for them.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read through this twice before contempalting a response

I think a lot of valid points have been made

First back to the original question, I think technology allows people that may or may not be capable of bowhunting an oppurtunity - the challenge for me starts every year as land comes and goes - so it is a lot of scouting etc and then hopefully if you made the right decisions - you will have your deer- each individual has there own fundamentals that drive them

My comment about technology - Is I believe without the invention of the compound - there would not be near the numbers of bowhunters there are today - which ultimately would hurt our sport - traditional archery requires a huge amount of dedication, time, effort, and patience - I started out this way - took a few animals - it requires three times the practice to keep your senses in check - I may get back into it at some point -

I recently sold my last rifle because it did not appeal to me anymore, I was born to bowhunt and will die bowhunting -hopefully

the discussion has taken some twists so i am going to comment on that as well, in the last four years I have become bigger buck selective - Before that I shot spikes, 4 points, you name I shot it and you know what I enjoyed it --- I progressed to the point I am at now -
my concern is that the message is getting relayed through tv,
magazines, boards, etc - that you need to take a certain buck to be considered a succuess- this is having a negative effect on our sport
kids are thinking unless they kill a 130 they have failed - horsepoo

Kill what you want, do it for the right reasons, and do it however you want and watch the sport grow
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
Bigcountry- I've learned a ton on the Tech side of these Traditional bows from you. I'm stupid on the Tech part and I've gained allot of knowledge from yourself. Don't sell yourself short my friend, you've have done me wonders and I thank you for that. I do need to get another recurve for a back up in case I have problems with mine. Any suggestions?
What are you talking about? What is it they said on Bull Durham. "never mess with a streak". That 70lb recurve can never retire.

I know I like the chek-mates, zippers, and of course the black widows for t/ds. But I know you are not a man of flash like me. I am an exotic wood snob. Not quite as bad as Matt, but close.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

As has been eluded to, challenges in bowhunting or any other sport can be pursued in different ways. For bowhunting purposes, changing equipment (i.e., compound vs. trad) is of course an option, but there are other ways to challenge yourself.

What aboutplanning a DIY out-of-state hunt in the mountains in December, with nothing more than your gear and maybe a horse. That is tough to do, but worth it if you are successful.

Another challenge would be to do all your own work on your bows and arrows. That takes alot of determination, but it is rewarding when you do it right.

Try leaving the treestands at home and spot and stalk or use natural blinds. Tough, but it can be done.

The options are endless if one continues to push the envelope and if that is what a man chooses to do then good for him but keep it in perspective, it is hunting afterall.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:34 PM

First, brknarrow, Alla, Amen, !!!! you hit it on the head. Sooner, couldn't agree more. If someone wants to hunt with a recurve let them, they may see it as a challenge, but they may see it as a connection to the weapon. It's like saying that a compound is more challenging than a crossbow, is it? maybe, but then we get into elitism. It may be a connection the crossbow for someone . Do I think trad is harder than compunds, absolutlely and I say it on here often. I began shooting a bow at the age of 10, my first bow was a recurve, I could group well at 20 yds when I was 12. I picked up a compound when I was 14, and never went back. But I think if you ask Schultzy why he hunts with a trad bow, he will tell you that it's about the connection with the weapon, it just feels rightfor him to do it this way. Will he say it's more challenging? maybe, but he will also tell you that he is no more or less of a hunter b/c of his weapon. I really just don't of hunting for a challenge, I mean change it up, make it interesting if you have to, but don't say that you need a challenge out hunting. If you need a challenge, climb Everest!!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's some quotes from the board, recently. I think hunting for the "Challenge" has been and will be alive and well for a long time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I have to agree with him that hunting is personal, and that we cannot dictate our values to others.”

“Nice, way to stack em up old school style. Good luck on laying the smackdown on a longbeard. That is an ultimate challenge.”

“I trophy hunt for the personal challenge.”

“I am never satsifed, I'm just a driven individual when it comes to deer hunting. I am a trophy hunter and hunt for the ultimate trophy (and that too is very personal, situational, and subject to change). Reaching stage 5 doesnt mean you are at the end of your hunting career, and considering yourself a stage 4 doesnt mean you should no longer take trophy deer. But, I view them as goals and dreams because I am always looking to improve. Again, just a thought.”

“even though I don't have access to big bucks on a daily basis I have shot quite a few deer and now find myself more interested in the "method" as he puts it......which has landed me smack in the middle of traditional archery. I like the romance of it andthe challenge and also hunting with good friends and the entire experience is more important to me than beating myself up over having to shoot trophy animals.”

Hunting for the challenge is why people choose to hunt turkeys without a blind......take a deer from the ground........passon that 1.5yr old buck ......that jake.......pass on that doe fawn.

.......hunt with a bow......

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.