Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Kyle- Thanks for the compliments, it makes a guy feel pretty damn good coming from guys like yourself!! Don't change a thing about yourself or your way of hunting. Its excellent!! Your parents and your Grandpa sure did well with you.

Bigcountry- I've learned a ton on the Tech side of these Traditional bows from you. I'm stupid on the Tech part and I've gained allot of knowledge from yourself. Don't sell yourself short my friend, you've have done me wonders and I thank you for that. I do need to get another recurve for a back up in case I have problems with mine. Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM

I just like humble people I guess, I think it is wrong to go about hunting as a game of challenge that needs to be mastered. I may be wrong, but I will believe this til I die. Let me say it this way, hunters are a band of brothers, everyone is welcome, most of us have earned our stripes with great dedication and disappointment over several years,sometimes we are rewarded but most of the time we are not, with an animal that is. I began hunting for the love of the woods and nature and for the occasional kill if I were so blessed, I still hunt for the same generalreasons I did when I was 12, I love the freedom and possibilties. Hunting is not about mastering or conquering game, it is not all for the challenge, it is for the love of our tradition and history of mankind. If you think Im wrong fine, I think your wrong, so what, that is how most of the world is, my feelings are not hurt, Im not angry. Very thick skinned!!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

VA......do you shoot 1.5 yr old bucks?

Why or why not?

Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM

I don't know, don't age deer. why??
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Why do people want to kill an elk? Bear? Moose? Aren't whitetails challenging enough?

VA....I think you get where I'm headed. I'll ask it another way....

Why do a LOT of hunters pass on juvenile bucks? Why do they pass on jakes?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Good post, I really believe folks don't know how to actually just hunt and enjoy it! To much to prove. Times have changed, unfortunately! Like VA posted the tradition of hunting is going by the wayside! People don't hunt a certain way because it's not the cool thing to do! Always worried what the jones are shooting...... so to speak...Too much to prove to the next guy striving to be accepted!
Just wondering.....How can someone who is hunting......for their own personal reasons....with their own personal goals.....be hunting for the wrong reasons? Or....how can we say they aren't enjoying how they hunt?

Curious.
I guess we can't, if their reason to hunt is having to prove themselves to the next guy then if they enjoy that, I say to them go for it. If someone wants to turn it into a job or work so to speak go for it and enjoy! Not for me! I thought my goal for this season was to kill an animal with my Longbow, my goal is to hunt with my Longbow this season, I will reach my goal and enjoy it the entire time, kill or no kill!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why do people want to kill an elk? Bear? Moose? Aren't whitetails challenging enough?

VA....I think you get where I'm headed. I'll ask it another way....

I don't know, but I'm sure you will tell us!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess we can't, if their reason to hunt is having to prove themselves to the next guy then if they enjoy that, I say to them go for it.
Or to themselves.

Why have you target mature animals MM......foresaking taking juvenile bucks? It may be easier to laugh it off than answer it.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM

I don't know, for me it's not that they are not challenging or difficult, I just have bigger deer in my area and would rather shoot one of those or a doe as I would one of them. I have shot many small bucks and many nice bucks too, depends on the type of year Im having. Jeff, you know I don't get into all the management stuff, I think big bucks will be big bucks. We have hunted 1200 acr for 30 yrs and never managed a thing and yet we killed monsters every year, so I don't really manage anything. I see where it is beneficial though, that's another thread.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ego's, for the challenge, just because.

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.