Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Jeff its not really a different stage of hunting like you said. Its a different way of hunting. Its a way of hunting that not many people care to try. Lots of folks say yea I'm going to try it but most never do. Deer hunting is challenging with a shotgun, compound, recurve/longbow, ML, pistol, etc. Each way you hunt represents a different challenge then the other.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BC...Just wondering....how long have you been bowhunting?

Also.....I would say that I am on my journey (the ride)....with no idea of where my destination may be (in bowhunting). Isn't that the fun part?
Jeff I'm gonna tell you where "I think" you are heading. (and to the board it's not a diss, We've kinda had discussions like this in emails, pms etc)

Total Burnout..I predict you'll be totally out of the sport in 3 years. It would be a shame. But I kinda agree with Jim you're searching. You, unlike anyone I know, make it a task, a duty, control the doe, worry about the neighbors, kill the sick/wounded.

You've had too much success, so in your mind it must be too easy..go traditional..after whatI hope is a painless learning curve you'll succeed at that, then what?? Forego treestands, get down on the ground again succeed..and then..??

I hope before you run through the Gauntlet of equipment, you go to a massive expanse of woods and terrain and challenge yourself with the quarry instead of the equipment. Perhaps then you will find the x factor. Your want to challenge yourself, it's not in the equipment. You can control that!

You say; why leave an area that's been productive?? The same could be said of your equipment. The challenge is out there.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Good post, I really believe folks don't know how to actually just hunt and enjoy it! To much to prove. Times have changed, unfortunately! Like VA posted the tradition of hunting is going by the wayside! People don't hunt a certain way because it's not the cool thing to do! Always worried what the jones are shooting...... so to speak...Too much to prove to the next guy striving to be accepted!
Just wondering.....How can someone who is hunting......for their own personal reasons....with their own personal goals.....be hunting for the wrong reasons? Or....how can we saythey aren't enjoying how they hunt?

Curious.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy,
Maybe you should try hunting with your car. It seems to work well in your area.[:'(]
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
bigcountry

You know I have taken alot of lessons off you Schultz. I buy and sell bows all the time in the past year. but thier you are in your avatar with that monster and that old beat up recurve. Gettin the job done with a smile a person couldnt' knock off with a 10lb sledge. I guess since this baby (my wife is due) has been on the way, I have felt the need to buy as much stuff as possible is one reason. But I know I need to find a bow I can shoot and stick with it. I got that lesson from watching you this past year. Because getting new bows every day and constantly fiddling with them and buying doz upon doz of arrows is not that fun.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 AM

BobCo, if you need to quit, then quit.. I may not be making myself clear. Hunt for your own reasons, I stated that in my OPINION people are getting into the hunting scene for what I BELIEVE are the wrong reasons. Deer are always a challenge to me, never have I walked into the woods and said to myself, "this is going to be easy". That's just me, others may find no challenge in it what so ever, it is easy to them, so they go out and try to make it more challenging wether that's changing weapons, or areas, etc.. I don't look for the challenge in it however, I just hunt b/c I love every minute in the woods, if it's a challenge great. If not, I still love it. I just don't think someone should feel they have mastered deer hunting and go about looking for a challenge. The bowhunting is not about challenge to some either. It's just what weapon they connect with, is it more challenging, probably, but that's not why I or some others do it, we may just love the actual closeness of the hunt. Again, MY OPINION, not gospel!
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think you missed my intent. Did you always hunt with traditional gear?
Nope, it was never my intention to hunt with trad gear, compound, pistol, rifle, or spear, just my intention to hunt period. And hunt hard.

Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You know I have taken alot of lessons off you Schultz.
Who hasn't. Not trying to hijack, but damn. That Steve is really, truly a great guy. Cheers my friend
Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

GR8.....I'm gonna hunt new woods this year. We'll see.

Whats wrong with this......
go traditional..after whatI hope is a painless learning curve you'll succeed at that, then what?? Forego treestands, get down on the ground again succeed..and then..??
lol?

I'd LOVE to hunt a little with the LB.......then maybe become selective with it. Then maybe take one off the ground.....then....(like you say)......??????????????????

How can you decide what you like/dislike.....until you've tried it? I don't see this as a bad thing.

Jeff its not really a different stage of hunting like you said. Its a different way of hunting. Its a way of hunting that not many people care to try. Lots of folks say yea I'm going to try it but most never do. Deer hunting is challenging with a shotgun, compound, recurve/longbow, ML, pistol, etc. Each way you hunt represents a different challenge then the other.
Damn, Schultzy.....common ground.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Schultzy,
Maybe you should try hunting with your car. It seems to work well in your area.[:'(]
Smart ass!!

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.