Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

I sold my Stevie Ray Signature Strat for personal reasons. I still have 2 beaters.

The reason we all feel a drive is to succeed. Success is gathered thru time and effort. I have a problem with wanting to learn so many things that time will probably never allow. So I just choose to be good at a few things and enjoy life at the same time. Ambition can bring life and kill as well. jmho I will butt out now as this is starting to get off the thread I guess.

LT
Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sold my Stevie Ray Signature Strat for personal reasons. I still have 2 beaters.

The reason we all feel a drive is to succeed. Success is gathered thru time and effort. I have a problem with wanting to learn so many things that time will probably never allow. So I just choose to be good at a few things and enjoy life at the same time. Ambition can bring life and kill as well. jmho I will butt out now as this is starting to get off the thread I guess.

LT
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

oops! Sorry. Double Post.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 AM
bigcountry

There are a few things I am very passionate about. One is God, another is ridin my scoot, another is archery, and lastly is long range shooting. And in every one of these things, I see some peoplecome and go. They jump into it on fire and they get robbed of the shear joy of each thing by making it into challenges. Or comparing themselves to others, always insecure of thier status. Needing to be better. I used to be guilty of this just 10-15 years ago.

I have rode bikes with so many guys that had to have a destination in mind before riding. Some even made out iteneriarys. Thats just lame. One reason I would refuse to join HOG. I told them when I lead, I sometimes take 2 lefts for every right. I was serious. It just drove them nuts. I have ended up 200 hundreds of miles from home, breaking out a map trying to get back before my wife worries. I have seen some amazing things off the beatin path, that I wouldnt' have found any other way. Also found some awesome BBQ on the way. Also ended up some places I would rather now. Some of these guys have to attach a mileage to things. I rode with one guy who wanted to have a goal of riding 600 miles in a day. These people never last long. You can watch thier patterns thoughout like, and are constantly jumping from one thing to another to another without satisfaction.

Just jump on that bike just to ride for shear joy of feeling the wind and hearin that motor hum. Or just sit in the woods just to clear your head, because you would feel you would go crazy if you couldn't find that quietness. Or just praise God for the shear joy of it, and not worrying what the next guy is doing or if you appear holy to him. Wow, I feel like a 80's commercial. Just do it.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

BC...Just wondering....how long have you been bowhunting?

Also.....I would say that I am on my journey (the ride)....with no idea of where my destination may be (in bowhunting). Isn't that the fun part?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
bigcountry

Not sure, probably since 1986. I shot a bear whitetail when I was 12, but didn't really bowhunt until I was 16, and got a fine browning Excellerator Plus.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I was asking to find out when you knew you wanted to hunt exactly as you do, now. I'm curious to see how long it took you .....and what changes occurred......for you (or anyone) to get to the point they are right now.

I've been deer hunting for 2.5yrs.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I was asking to find out when you knew you wanted to hunt exactly as you do, now. I'm curious to see how long it took you .....and what changes occurred......for you (or anyone) to get to the point they are right now.

I've been deer hunting for 2.5yrs.

I knew I wanted to my whole life. Well, I took a short break thru college. All I cared about was bagging dear.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

There are a few things I am very passionate about. One is God, another is ridin my scoot, another is archery, and lastly is long range shooting. And in every one of these things, I see some people come and go. They jump into it on fire and they get robbed of the shear joy of each thing by making it into challenges. Or comparing themselves to others, always insecure of thier status. Needing to be better. I used to be guilty of this just 10-15 years ago.

I have rode bikes with so many guys that had to have a destination in mind before riding. Some even made out iteneriarys. Thats just lame. One reason I would refuse to join HOG. I told them when I lead, I sometimes take 2 lefts for every right. I was serious. It just drove them nuts. I have ended up 200 hundreds of miles from home, breaking out a map trying to get back before my wife worries. I have seen some amazing things off the beatin path, that I wouldnt' have found any other way. Also found some awesome BBQ on the way. Also ended up some places I would rather now. Some of these guys have to attach a mileage to things. I rode with one guy who wanted to have a goal of riding 600 miles in a day. These people never last long. You can watch thier patterns thoughout like, and are constantly jumping from one thing to another to another without satisfaction.

Just jump on that bike just to ride for shear joy of feeling the wind and hearin that motor hum. Or just sit in the woods just to clear your head, because you would feel you would go crazy if you couldn't find that quietness. Or just praise God for the shear joy of it, and not worrying what the next guy is doing or if you appear holy to him. Wow, I feel like a 80's commercial. Just do it.
Good post, I really believe folks don't know how to actually just hunt and enjoy it! To much to prove. Times have changed, unfortunately! Like VA posted the tradition of hunting is going by the wayside! People don't hunt a certain way because it's not the cool thing to do! Always worried what the jones are shooting...... so to speak...Too much to prove to the next guy striving to be accepted!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I think you missed my intent. Did you always hunt with traditional gear?

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.