Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

That's difficult when they occupy 2/3s of the first 5 pages of the Bowhunting forum.J/K buddy.
That's what I was thinking

Anyways I have lots of thoughts on this. I like hunting my way. I don't just want to get a deer, I want to get a deer playing by my limitations(whatever they may be). Probably the reason I never made an attempt to worry about killing a deer past 20-25 yds.

Yea I too have gone down the trad road too, but mine was more of a "I want to kill one that way" kind of thing, as opposed to trying to make it harder. Yes it is harder and despite being proficient there are FEW people on this planet who can release and arrow from trad gear, with the same certainty as most can with a compound.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

deleted by me, I apologize
Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I guess I can kinda understand the growing contigency to go Traditional, to some extent. But I'll be odd man out, as it holds no appeal, what-so-ever to me. My challenge remains harvesting better bucks.
I am kind of on the edge, but mostly agree with GR8 (so you're not the odd man out)I don't have enough time; nor, real WANT to get into traditional. Maybe someday. As for now, bring on the technology, it's a good thing
Old 04-08-2008, 10:11 AM

I don't take anything to heart on here by anyone, Jeff and many others know that about me. Im simplystating that yes hunting is personal, but it seems to me that many people get into hunting, especially deer hunting and bowhunting inparticular and want instant success or overnight status of being a guru or a mature buck hunter only and if it doesn't concern that, then it's not worthy of discussing. I just feel like we are getting away from our tradition has hunters and creating a facade of what people may want to see. I mean we are selling buck sperm now, we are growing deer ranches, we are paying big $ for trophy hunts just so our egos and our status can grow overnight. Deer hunting in general shouldn't be a challenge, if you want challenge or stimulation I suggest you try to read WEB DuBois's "Souls of Black Folk" that willcertainly challenge you or stimulate your synapse.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Deer hunting in general shouldn't be a challenge, if you want challenge or stimulation I suggest you try to read WEB DuBois's "Souls of Black Folk" that willcertainly challenge you or stimulate your synapse.
I respectfully disagree, VA. Many choose the weapon we choose based on the "challenge". I'd venture that's a big reason a lot of people choose to bowhunt.

What's the difference in my approach and the guys who pass on juvenile bucks waiting for something with a little more age structure? Passing on jakes in hopes of the big tom? Isn't it for the "challenge"?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't it for the "challenge"?
Yes, and no. "Some" hunt for the thrill. "Some" for trophies. "Some" for both. "Some" for food. I have to agree Jeff, nobody should care how you hunt or why. But we do like to learn from one another here, shoot the breeze, have a good time. (Sort of like why I actually hunt)

If it ain't Rocket Science, why should we make it as challenging?

LT

Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

If it ain't Rocket Science, why should we make it as challenging?
Can we agree on......"Adding a new dimension" to one's hunting?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is cool Jeff. I can sorta relate. But once you get good at it, don't just let it lose it's glimmer because you find another way more challenging.

Example: I forced myself to learn guitar because I wanted to. I became a mediocre player to say the least. I went from one style to the other so that I could be a "well rounded" guitarist. Then one day it hit me. I spent so much time trying to learn everything new and better, until I lost sight of what was enjoyable about playing to begin with.

Does that make sense?

LT
Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Example: I forced myself to learn guitar because I wanted to. I became a mediocre player to say the least. I went from one style to the other so that I could be a "well rounded" guitarist. Then one day it hit me. I spent so much time trying to learn everything new and better, until I lost sight of what was enjoyable about playing to begin with.

Does that make sense?
Sure it does. I play as well (Martin D-28) and have certain types of music I don't attempt.....because I just enjoy listening to it.

I don't have the drive to play....that I have for hunting, though. I hope THAT makes sense.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think it's fun to use different weapons and different tactics...I went out and priced a recurve last summer, man they have gotten expensive...I used one from the late 60s until the mid 70s, when I bought my first compound...I can still remember the first time I pulled back that compound, after using a recurve, I was absolutely amazed....

I have never "bought in" to the lastest and greatest technology in bows...I stopped when releases came out, just seems to me that a bow should be shot with fingers...That's one reason that I still use a bow that is longer than most axle to axle, still shoot aluminum, feathers, no stabilizer, no peep, only two pins, etc...I love the challenge of a bow and actually have never lost a deer with my current bow, which is about 10-12 years old, I did lose one with the old Bear Whitetail, but it sure wasn't the bow's fault...

I will say this...A compound is a giant step forward over a recurve and offers several advantages...It is sure harder for me to shoot a recurve while in a tree stand, the extra length just gets in the way and I love the advantage of being above the deer...When I was initially using a recurve, I hunted on the ground, that does make it tougher...

Here in NC, our bow season is before our gun season and we have a week of muzzleloading season after bow...I often use my muzzleloader during our regular gun season...I made my own muzzleloader, even though it is a flintlock it is another giant leap in technology over a compound bow...It extends your range out to 75 yards or so and makes hunting on the ground much easier...

If a hunter is only going to kill a couple of deer a year, using a weapon that gives you more of a challege does add more to the experience...

If a hunter is killing multiple animals a year, to help control the population, it is doubtful that he can make a difference (if he has a job and family) on the population with a recurve bow...That is the usually the deciding factor on which weapon I take to the woods...

Most of us don't hunt for food anymore, it's a hobby, do what makes you feel good about the time you are able to have in the woods...

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.