Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If your proficient with with the long stick, whats the difference? If your not than hunting with it shouldn't be considered. You will figure that out when you get past stage two.j/k
Rob and I have talked about this, Chris. To an extent.....you are 100% correct. If you're proficient from 20yds.......you're proficient.....regardless of the tackle.

The difference (for ME) lies in the level of work required to become proficient with each. Hence the allure (again, for ME).

Stage 2.......by default in lieu of by design. I accept that.
Agreed, it takes alot more practice to get good with the long bow, much much more. But once your there, your there. The "challenge" is the same.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

You've bought more bows in 4 years than I've owned in a life time.
Guilty. I've owned 5 (including the longbow). I currently own 3.....and I'll soon be down to 2. Can't help that. I wanted to find what I like. I'll soon have one compound and one traditional bow....and I'm in a large group with that distinction.

I'm on the second kind of broad head I've ever used, I own 5 of the same summit tree stands.
I've shot 2 BH's at deer.....and 1 at turkeys. I'm down to 1, now.....for both. Again....MANY, MANY people tinker a LOT more than I.

Maybe the idea of getting one buck tag per year has put a greater sense of accomplishment in that single success than the unlimited opportunities that you enjoy.
Maybe.

Success comes to each of us in many different times,forms & places.
Agreed. I'm just stating how I view it.....and how that's changing.

Good Luck in your adventures, Jim
Thank you.

Life is not about conquering challenges alone Jeff.
LT....we're all motivated in different ways. I'm not wired to say...."I think I'll go hunting, tomorrow". I wish I was, sometimes. that's the approach I take to Ping Pong.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed, it takes alot more practice to get good with the long bow, much much more. But once your there, your there.

That maybe true for about 3-5%. I wish I was one of them. It's a lifelong challenge for most.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am taking up the challenge of groundhog hunting with my bow. I figure most of the shots will be fairly long and the target is fairly small......I am also going to try fox hunting from a treestand with my bow. There areall kinds of challenges out there that can be addressed with any kind of bow.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I am taking up the challenge of groundhog hunting with my bow. I figure most of the shots will be fairly long and the target is fairly small......I am also going to try fox hunting from a treestand with my bow. There areall kinds of challenges out there that can be addressed with any kind of bow.
That's cool, Bruce. Good luck with it.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Me too out of neccesity! Them little buggers from the empty lot destroy my Garden and dig under my shed! The neigbor dogs that chase them everytime they are let out make the ground pigs super cautious!

I did learn last year not to shoot them with a field tip. I pegged one at distance when I was out shooting and watched as my arrow ran acrossed the field and into a hole! Got some old style mechanicals I may try out on few!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Me too out of neccesity! Them little buggers from the empty lot destroy my Garden and dig under my shed! The neigbor dogs that chase them everytime they are let out make the ground pigs super cautious!

I did learn last year not to shoot them with a field tip. I pegged one at distance when I was out shooting and watched as my arrow ran acrossed the field and into a hole! Got some old style mechanicals I may try out on few!
LOL wish I lived closer, I would give you a hand LOL. I am going to be using 100 grain standard slick tricks and 100 grain thunderhead xp's. I am shooting right at 55#'s and the plan is LOL for the arrow to pass through and "pin" the GH to the ground. Then, if still alive when I get to him, a .22 short.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

LT....we're all motivated in different ways. I'm not wired to say...."I think I'll go hunting, tomorrow". I wish I was, sometimes. that's the approach I take to Ping Pong.

Watch out Jeff. They do have professional Ping Pong Players. Please don't go that route too.[8D]
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Instead of refering to changes in your hunting as stages, why not call it what it really is. MATURING
Old 04-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Instead of refering to changes in your hunting as stages, why not call it what it really is. MATURING
MM....I think a lot would take issue with that....and while I see where you're coming from.....I disagree with calling it "maturing" (much like I did in the "stages" thread).

I don't see theshift from compound to trad as "maturing".....or even a progression. It's just somewhere I wanna go.

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.