Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If you don't like the answers you get when you post your questions. And because ofthat it turns into a 10 page war because you don't like what other people say.
LOL...I find it amusing .....when you go back and read the original post....and where it's gotten to.....that I would be lectured. Ya gotta admit it's a stretch, huh? So I should stay out of my own threads?

With all the technology flooding our passtime (bowhunting)......who is lookingat new endeavors/challenges/etc.... and explain them.....and "why"?
THIS was my question.
Jeff I understand your question. And this thread got off thattopic a loooong time ago. I have no problem with you at all. But you are just as quilty as everyone else on this thread for it to get off topic. And to be honest at times I think that's what you are after with some of your replies. Why not just post something like LET'S KEEP THIS ON TOPIC GUYS? I know the threads would end up shorter but you might actually get the replies you are looking for.

Whitetails are a challenge no matter what weapon you choose. Even if I was a gun hunter I don't think I would ever need to come up with new challenges.
You go out and see lots of deer and kill many but that isn't what it's all about. Just because you have that speedy compound in your hand doesn't make it a done deal. I know you know that becauseif I recall you have shot deer you didn't find right?If you want to go out with your longbow and shoot some deer go for it. Then come back and post a pic.

Darrall
Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I guess Deep Thoughts & Misinterpretations Forum would'nt fit so they just went with Bowhunting Forum for the title. By the way, any one have anything useful on that topic, actual bowhunting? No, oh well maybe tomorrow.
A young hunter as a question yesterday

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2754724

and three of us responded

And another with few responses to the "actual" question at hand!

A question asked by a new hunter on picking a spot for placing a treestand.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fb.aspx?m=2754162&key==
Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 AM

Gr8, I agree. Im different than you with goals, sure I like to kill big bucks, and i do once in a while, but I do it because im completely in awe of them, I like big racks too, but I personally don't hunt them because they are a challenge, I hunt them and other deer because I love to hunt, and i hunt for the whole aspect of being close to nature and what God has given us. I don't make it work or a job, if I kill a big buck, it's because Im blessed to do so and maybe some luck too. I do set goals as sometimes that goal is to kill a big buck, because they live here and I love big antlers, but to me, all deer are a challenge and I get the same high from any deer that I take. That's just my feeling. Like I said, I don't expect anyone to change their perspective, I just stated my take on it.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

I like big racks
Me too! Lets all agree on that and let 'er go
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not meant to knock you at all Jeff, but you did sort of answer your own question in the original post. My question is, does it necessarily have to be 'hard' to be enjoyable? I shot three does with the compund this year and loved every minute of it, it wasnt really too difficuly by any means, but it sure was enjoyable. But to each their own and if you want to get down to a loin cloth and a spear have at it my friend.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Germ

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I guess Deep Thoughts & Misinterpretations Forum would'nt fit so they just went with Bowhunting Forum for the title. By the way, any one have anything useful on that topic, actual bowhunting? No, oh well maybe tomorrow.
[/blockquote]

A young hunter as a question yesterday

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2754724

and three of us responded
[/blockquote]

And another with few responses to the "actual" question at hand!

A question asked by a new hunter on picking a spot for placing a treestand.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/fb.aspx?m=2754162&key==

Good points Germ Germ and GR8. I think I'll start looking for threads like thos more myself because I always get frustrated when I pose a hunting question and it's bumped of in an hour or two with little to no interest, so I can imagine that could be real frustrating to new guys who need the input far more than myself. Sorry not trying to hijack this gem of a thread.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Gosh GMMAT, this is hard to admit, but I understand where you are coming from.

First, I hunt with a bow and bow only because to me it is more a challenge. I don't do it to extend my season. I do it because it is the only form of huntingthat I enjoy anymore.

My second weapon of choice is a camera. Why, because it is more a CHALLENGE than gun hunting. I have no desire to kill anything with a gun. I am not an elitist, or think I am better than anyone else, it just doesn't interest me anymore and I suspect never will again, whether it be a basket rack or a 200" trophy.

I enjoy the outdoors and all those things that have been mentioned in the non competitive sense of hunting but if that was enough, why not just go out with the camera? Because I am a hunter first and a photographer second and I still find it more CHALLENGING to compound hunt rather than take pictures.

I am one of those guys someone mentioned in this thread (Shultzy I think) that always talk about going trad but never follows through. Why? Because I have too many other priorities/interests and I do not practice enough to become proficient with the trad gear.

But I do understand the desire and the CHALLENGE aspect of trad gear as compared to a compound and I commend all those who choose this route.

Having said all that, I still think you are too quick to think you have and are killing the most mature deer in your area. As someone mentioned in this thread, learning this aspect of hunting is never ending.

While you are right it is not rocket science, it also is not as haphazard as you think. I still suspect there is a lot more CHALLENGE left out there in finding bigger bucks in you existing areas than what you think.

But because you will likely be shooting at less deer with trad gear, it might just be the thing that keeps you in the woods longer and disturbing them less to make this happen as well.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

La-la-la, I'm not listening, la-la-la (eddie murphy)

I actually feel like I'm Rain Man, you remember when he held his ears and started screaming, that's me!
Except it's not time for Jeoprody or cheese balls
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this horse is dead!
Elvis has left the building
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ED you liked this one huh?? You keep trying to get it going again.

Tell ya what, how about you post something thought provoking??

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.