Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

I've read through all this BS and can't for the life of me figure out why any of you have a problem with what Jeff is doing.... Why do you care if he wants to go trad? I mean really? Why type out a 20 line post about where you think another hunter is going wrong?

[:'(]
Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

As has been eluded to, challenges in bowhunting or any other sport can be pursued in different ways. For bowhunting purposes, changing equipment (i.e., compound vs. trad) is of course an option, but there are other ways to challenge yourself.

What aboutplanning a DIY out-of-state hunt in the mountains in December, with nothing more than your gear and maybe a horse. That is tough to do, but worth it if you are successful.

Another challenge would be to do all your own work on your bows and arrows. That takes alot of determination, but it is rewarding when you do it right.

Try leaving the treestands at home and spot and stalk or use natural blinds. Tough, but it can be done.

The options are endless if one continues to push the envelope and if that is what a man chooses to do then good for him but keep it in perspective, it is hunting afterall.
You have expressed my exact thoughts, there is nothing like taking off into the unknown with your bow and pack. After several days, your vehicle even becomes an afterthought. Even tougher than the game your after is the challenges of spending day after day alone in the wilderness......
Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

actually, this past fall i talked to a guy who is now attempting to take a whitetail with a spear. i don't think it gets much more primitive or challenging than that. I'm not quite sure whether or not it's legal for him to do but DANG.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Dominant Buck

DC...I took it in th woods a couple times last fall. I can't describe the feeling you have even stepping into the woods with it (the LB). I also can't for the life of me figure out why that bothers the **** out of some people.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Site Buck Guru

I like to hunt deer. I gun hunt as well as bow hunt. I bow hunt mainly because it extends my time in the woods, almost 4 months. Gun hunting is usually only9 days. I don't pick my weapons based on challenge, I pick them because I like them. Sometimes I choose to use a certain gun based on the terrain I will be hunting. I use a high power, scoped rifle in open terrain and sometimes a pistol in thick, brushy terrain where the shot will be 30 yards or less. Sometimes the regulations dictate my choice..... shot gun, muzzle loader, pistol or rifle.

As for bows, I like compounds and recurves. Currently, I don't have a recurve but will get one some day. I've successfully used one in the past.

I hunt for mature bucks because they fascinate me. They are challenging no matter what weapon you use. Personally, because of the short (20 yards or less) distances I shoot them at, compound or recurve wouldn't matter much to me.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

DC...I took it in th woods a couple times last fall. I can't describe the feeling you have even stepping into the woods with it (the LB).
I still get that feeling! It's a "pure" feeling for me. It's a way to truly connect to our bowhunting forefathers.... It's the road less traveled and only 5% of us will ever give it a legitimate shot...

Just continue to do what makes you happy and brings you the most satisfaction. That's what its all about!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow still going huh??
2 things come to mind...

1) Jeff you only ask and title certain things as you do "For the Reaction" so don't be so surprised when you get it!

2) VA Pleasedo not claim to be, my voice (the over 40 club who grew up hunting)! While I share your enthusiaism, our goals and desires are at way different ends of the rainbow! [&:]

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Guilty as charged, Bob.....but it's meant to entice the thought process.....and not prod the lecture circuit crowd.

Greg....kudos. You hunt the way you want to.....for the reasons you choose. How could anyone have an issue with that?
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Gr8, I never intended to be your voice. Sir, I may not be 40, but Im not that far off either. I don't remember how Iwas your " Voice" tell me how. Jeff, you are seeing where Im coming from about the connection to the weapon, it's not the challenge you are searching for, it's the connection to weapon that makes it feel right. I know you believe that deer hunting is a challenge any type. Gr8, did I ever insuate we were on the same page about hunting??
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that the romance of a traditional set-up is definitely appealing. However, as in every part of life, situation and circumstance plays a huge role. To be quite honest with you, bow hunting with a compound is challenging enough for me and it would honestly bother me if I took my recurve out to shoot a doe and that was the day a big buck came by and I couldn't shoot him b/c he was 25 or 30 yards off. That would upset me more than shooting a doe with the recurve would excite me. Personal fault of mine probably, but it is the way it is.

Attempting to spot and stalk with a compound is definitely difficult enough for me. Having to close that distance to 40 yards is very difficult for me. Having to close it to 20, well that would truly make my success rate low enough to bring me to a level of frustration where it might not be as fun. I do need to succeed sometimes to have fun. Just the way I am I guess.

I certainly wish you luck in your endeavor Jeff. Kudos to you for wanting to give it a try.

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.