Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

I moved from where the ducks are....VA.....that's why I quit duck hunting.

After reading the rest of that post....I have no idea why I say anything. I should just post things and let you guys tell me what I mean.....lol

And don't forget.....I've been hunting likely as long as you've been alive. The hunting"brotherhood" is not limited to deer hunters.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Ok, we can do that!!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

First, brknarrow, Alla, Amen, !!!! you hit it on the head. Sooner, couldn't agree more. If someone wants to hunt with a recurve let them, they may see it as a challenge, but they may see it as a connection to the weapon. It's like saying that a compound is more challenging than a crossbow, is it? maybe, but then we get into elitism. It may be a connection the crossbow for someone . Do I think trad is harder than compunds, absolutlely and I say it on here often. I began shooting a bow at the age of 10, my first bow was a recurve, I could group well at 20 yds when I was 12. I picked up a compound when I was 14, and never went back. But I think if you ask Schultzy why he hunts with a trad bow, he will tell you that it's about the connection with the weapon, it just feels right for him to do it this way. Will he say it's more challenging? maybe, but he will also tell you that he is no more or less of a hunter b/c of his weapon. I really just don't of hunting for a challenge, I mean change it up, make it interesting if you have to, but don't say that you need a challenge out hunting. If you need a challenge, climb Everest!!
Vabowman,
I hunt with a recurve because it fits me much better as a hunter and who I am. I can't stand all the gadgets they have on these bows these days, but thats just me and I don't put down anyone else who uses them unless there going to take stabs at me then its game on. I use to hunt with a compound and I loved it. As time went on I wasn't enjoying it as much. When they came out with the releases and legalized them I said to myself I'm done with it. I personally didn't like the direction they were headed and I figured it was time to change it up. I've got some great friends that shoot compounds with all the gadgets on them, we goof around and poke fun at each other, thats what its all about! My dad has shot Traditional bows for years so for me switching over was pretty simple being I had a great mentor and I was also shooting these recurve's at 3 years old so It wasn't nothing new to me for shooting, Just new for hunting which is a big difference then just shooting these bows! I know its made me a better hunter being I'm more patient and smarter being I need them animals that much closer to me for shooting. I've still gotta figure out how to get them 4.5+ bucks from that 30 yard range to that 15 to 20 yard range. Any suggestions??
Scentblocker!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Where would the bar be if you were allowed one deer per year ?
About knee high.

Would there be as many of you as there is now if your state was one & you are done ?
I have no idea what that means[8D]
Well I think I got it just over knee high a while back but thanks just the same.

Growing up here in PA thats how it was you got one tag as in one deer and your done.

My point being we had not the opportunity to use deer as study objects, as to find out if we liked killing them with bats ,bows orbullets .
It was a time consuming and very rewarding way to hunt.
And many choices that were made were carefully thought out well in advance making any success a very rewarding accomplishment.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

First, brknarrow, Alla, Amen, !!!! you hit it on the head. Sooner, couldn't agree more. If someone wants to hunt with a recurve let them, they may see it as a challenge, but they may see it as a connection to the weapon. It's like saying that a compound is more challenging than a crossbow, is it? maybe, but then we get into elitism. It may be a connection the crossbow for someone . Do I think trad is harder than compunds, absolutlely and I say it on here often. I began shooting a bow at the age of 10, my first bow was a recurve, I could group well at 20 yds when I was 12. I picked up a compound when I was 14, and never went back. But I think if you ask Schultzy why he hunts with a trad bow, he will tell you that it's about the connection with the weapon, it just feels rightfor him to do it this way. Will he say it's more challenging? maybe, but he will also tell you that he is no more or less of a hunter b/c of his weapon. I really just don't of hunting for a challenge, I mean change it up, make it interesting if you have to, but don't say that you need a challenge out hunting. If you need a challenge, climb Everest!!
Vabowman,
I hunt with a recurve because it fits me much better as a hunter and who I am. I can't stand all the gadgets they have on these bows these days, but thats just me and I don't put down anyone else who uses them unless there going to take stabs at me then its game on. I use to hunt with a compound and I loved it. As time went on I wasn't enjoying it as much. When they came out with the releases and legalized them I said to myself I'm done with it. I personally didn't like the direction they were headed and I figured it was time to change it up. I've got some great friends that shoot compounds with all the gadgets on them, we goof around and poke fun at each other, thats what its all about! My dad has shot Traditional bows for years so for me switching over was pretty simple being I had a great mentor and I was also shooting these recurve's at 3 years old so It wasn't nothing new to me for shooting, Just new for hunting which is a big difference then just shooting these bows! I know its made me a better hunter being I'm more patient and smarter being I need them animals that much closer to me for shooting. I've still gotta figure out how to get them 4.5+ bucks from that 30 yard range to that 15 to 20 yard range. Any suggestions??
Scentblocker!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking ,Move to a tree 15 yards closer.[:-]
Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

First, brknarrow, Alla, Amen, !!!! you hit it on the head. Sooner, couldn't agree more. If someone wants to hunt with a recurve let them, they may see it as a challenge, but they may see it as a connection to the weapon. It's like saying that a compound is more challenging than a crossbow, is it? maybe, but then we get into elitism. It may be a connection the crossbow for someone . Do I think trad is harder than compunds, absolutlely and I say it on here often. I began shooting a bow at the age of 10, my first bow was a recurve, I could group well at 20 yds when I was 12. I picked up a compound when I was 14, and never went back. But I think if you ask Schultzy why he hunts with a trad bow, he will tell you that it's about the connection with the weapon, it just feels rightfor him to do it this way. Will he say it's more challenging? maybe, but he will also tell you that he is no more or less of a hunter b/c of his weapon. I really just don't of hunting for a challenge, I mean change it up, make it interesting if you have to, but don't say that you need a challenge out hunting. If you need a challenge, climb Everest!!
Vabowman,
Scentblocker!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking ,Move to a tree 15 yards closer.[:-]
Lmao guys!! I never thought of either one.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

My point being we had not the opportunity to use deer as study objects, as to find out if we liked killing them with bats ,bows orbullets .
And many choices that were made were carefully thought out well in advance making any success a very rewarding accomplishment.
Jim....help me understand. How is a man to know if he likes killing deer....until he's killed one....or a few? You can carefully think that out in advance all you want....but sooner or later you have to pull the trigger. And now....once he has killed a few....how's he going to figure out if he likes doing it another way.....unless he tries it?

The fact that I have multiple tags and abundant targets has likely sped up the process of me wanting to try new things. It's like people expect me to apologize for that. I don't understand it.

Answer this for me....

If you started a poll, right now....and asked people why they bowhunt vs. gun hunt? Why they let 1.5 yr olds pass in favor of mature bucks? Why they hunt without a blind vs. with a blind? Why they won't shoot a jake?

What would be the main reason cited????

Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM

No Jeff, I commended you for your success from the start. But, what if you lose that property and have to hunt a place that isn't rich in "targets" ? will you go back to another way of hunting? Will be so ready to change up or make it more challenging. Im not knocking you for trying different strategies or options, it just sounds like you have become bored with hunting so fast that you are searching for something new to keep you fueld. This is what someone else said on here, don't recall, but they mentioned burnout. If you are in such a hurry or you have to change styles of hunting every so often after only 3 yrs, then what else will there be in 5-10 yrs??
Old 04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jim....help me understand. How is a man to know if he likes killing deer....until he's killed one....or a few? You can carefully think that out in advance all you want....but sooner or later you have to pull the trigger. And now....once he has killed a few....how's he going to figure out if he likes doing it another way.....unless he tries it?

The fact that I have multiple tags and abundant targets has likely sped up the process of me wanting to try new things. It's like people expect me to apologize for that. I don't understand it.
If you want to understand it,and I mean really understand it,

I "double dog dare" you to huntyour state for one and only one buck.

Then if you so choose to shoot that "one" buck in another state such as here in PAyou can Challenge yourself once again.

As you have found killing does and fawns is like fishing for bluegills.
Aman that fishes for muskies does it cause he likes fishing not cause he likes fish.[:-]
Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Dominant Buck

No Jeff, I commended you for your success from the start. But, what if you lose that property and have to hunt a place that isn't rich in "targets" ? will you go back to another way of hunting? Will be so ready to change up or make it more challenging. Im not knocking you for trying different strategies or options, it just sounds like you have become bored with hunting so fast that you are searching for something new to keep you fueld. This is what someone else said on here, don't recall, but they mentioned burnout. If you are in such a hurry or you have to change styles of hunting every so often after only 3 yrs, then what else will there be in 5-10 yrs??
This is ridiculous. I say I'm going to take my longbow into the woods to take ONE FREAKIN DEER.....and that I see the day when I may not hunt with a compound....and again....we get to what??? Just tell me what I mean, I guess!!....lol

VA....YOU KNOW I just got new hunting land.....about 300+acres of it. How's that.....brand new land.....to add to the challenge? You guys read what I type and then say what you want.......ya kill me...ya really do.

I'm not changing my style....I'm adding a new dimension. And do you REALLY think I'm "bored" with hunting? Really?

Quick Reply: Another take on the "stages" of a hunter....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.