Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think your fellow HNI'ers would be surprised?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you think your fellow HNI'ers would be surprised?

Well put! I do hunt a little around home here, but I love getting up north!

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I think most would be shocked! Big woods and not a lot of deer. Kinda like looking for a needle in a haystack. I could bait (and I have) but I never took any pride in killing one that way. I read gregh's buck story from last season and he said he saw 7? bucks that day. I am lucky to see 7 during the entire rut. My unofficial sightings are about 1 deer per full day of hunting. It's a lot different than small woodlot hunting. I did a lot of that in my younger years. I love the big woods and I love to roam. It's great to be able to walk all day and never run into a fence or no tresspass sign. You have to be mentally tough to hunt for days without a deer sighting. My record is 7 days in a row w/o a deer sighting. I have done that twice. My love for the big woods far outweights the need to see a lot of deer. Mixed in all that big woods are just enough big bucks to keep me trying
Old 04-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have never seen Pressure until you have 2 hunting clubs surrounding 40 acres with 3 to 4 stands right on your property line and you only have one access point to get there. IHATE hunting clubs/leases.

LT
Old 04-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Hey LT,

How bout walking a field edge that has over 20 guys lined up about 10 feet apart sitting on buckets. Then seeing another 7 guys driving the ridge towards them, heading 100 yards down through the woods to a powerline that has 9 guys sitting on it, and several more driving another section of woods towards it[:-] That was two years ago on the first Saturday of rifle season here in PA. Its nothing to hear more than 300 shots on the firstmorning of rifle season here.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My deer hunting property, which we are no longer going to retain after this year (thats right... as of June 30th... I have no where to bow hunt), pretty much sucks..... no wonder we aren't bothering with it anymore. Overpriced, under populated, and we have ZERO control over it. Had too many hunts get messed up last year.

Now my duck hunting spots.... yeah I suspect you'd like my blinds
Old 04-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Another thread got me thinking......

Do you think your fellow HNI'ers would be surprised if they saw how/where you REALLY hunted?

I mean.....size of your woodlots; quantity of deer/turkeys; quantity of quality bucks; proximity of dwellings/structures; etc...??????

That's why I love having friends in to hunt. When I speak of hunting certain areas....seeing certain animals......I KNOW they can relate.

Would your fellow HNI'ers be surprised if they saw how you really hunted?
I think they'd be a little surprised HOW I hunt, especially turkeys and bear. I'm real aggressive.

Where I hunt, prob not. I can BOWhunt ~1000 acres on/around, and around our farm. It is all working farmland, with the exception of ours. I hunt a lot of swamp edges, and ridge lines during the rut, and field edges in the early and late.

A fellow HNI'er will get to bear hunt my land Fall of 09
Old 04-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea there arent many people that hunt the coastal areas of the south on here, I imagine they would be surprised at the quality and quantity of deer and turkeys, as well as a good ol southern briar patch trip to get a deer [&:]

Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my neighborhood, YES.

On my property in IL, probly not. Lots of hills and woods.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The property I mainly hunt would shock many people. It is four acres and a half mile from a Mall in the outskirts of Chicago in Kane County. When the wind blows out of the South you can smell KFC and I am less than 200 yards from a major road. The homeowners kids are usually 75 yards down the ridge on afternoon hunts on the trampoline and somethimes people from the forest preserve next door get lost and walk 20 yards in front of me never knowing I am there.

The first time I ever hunted it I climbed into a stand that was on the property but abandoned and saw 14 deer in the first half hour of light. The property has numerous 8-10 pointers on it every year ranging in size from 100-140" and a few larger from time to time. The best part is that the bucks aren't overly sensitive to smell.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

While I'm very open about how I hunt and the property I have access to I think some would be shocked as BuckMagnet said to climb in a stand and have cars driving by close enough to hear their stereo on 5 as they drive by, or to have the land owner come out her back door and wave as she waters her pansies.

My properties are the same way, except in Iowa.

Quik brought up a good point about pressure too. I don't think anyone except in maybe MI or NY, and maybe some places in WIcan appreciate the kind of pressure we see.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM

I think I would have to say that members here wouldn't be surprised on how I hunt, but more how IHAVE to hunt. It is a stark contrast to many in this thread on how theyHAVE to hunt. It honestly surprises me that people are hunting so near malls, stores, homes, etc. as well as the pressures associated with over crowded woods. I think if I lived back east I may give up hunting all together because of that pressure. That being a matter of how I have "hunted" for most of my life. The thought of paying for hunting grounds escapes me. The idea of following a deer trail to a tree stand that has as many human tracks as deer tracks is beyond my comprehension.

I guess I have been "spoiled" by being able to hunt vast areas of public land all my life. That being said, 80% of my hunting has been spot & stalk mule deer and elk over miles of country. Tree stands?? That would be nice, but first it is hard to pattern mule deer; and second, where is a tree?? With a bow you can spend hours belly crawling thru sagebrush in hopes to get close enough for a shot. Steep terrain plays into account as well, as you may spot a group of deer 500 yards away (as the crow flies) but it can take hours to get into position for a shot.

I know Rybo got a feel for hunting the big woods of Idaho with Shed & myself. I would like to show him (or anyone else) the hunting in my area of steep, open country. I think when I moveup in the timbered areas where a few whitetail are,I would see hunting a little more as described by many of you.