Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what seperates average hunters

Old 04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what seperates average hunters

I usually seperate myself with some sort of chaffing material. A barrier if you will to keep away from contagious "suckiness".

Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM

I think, determination and wanting to learn.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

U can put all the time and effort in you want if you dont have a good hunting spot or location that holds deer you will have nothing to show for it.!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The ability to process information gathered during scouting trips (or any time afield) I feel is huge.
But there are dozens of other aspects that also contribute as well.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

In my mind this is easy to answer. Admittedly, I am average, but striving tobe better. The difference in myself and hunters who routinely kill big bucks is "attention to detail".

That is a blanket statement which covers many facets of a successful hunt: scent control, interpreting buck sign, scouting, practice techniques, equipment maintenance (bow tuning, broadhead sharpening, treestands, etc.), woodsmanship, etc.

When I look back on missed opportunities, it was usually a minute detail that made the difference: a creek from a treestand that should have been silenced long ago, a small limb that should have been trimmed, a loose screw that didn't seem like a big deal at the time, walking the easy way to the stand and jumping deer, etc.

The cream of the crop (I won't mention names b/c there's enough butt-kissing already) are meticulous at what they do and thattakes hard work. Dealing with chiggers and ticks in August trimming shooting lanes isn't fun and neither is not hunting your money-maker stand because the wind isn't just right. The average hunter tells himself "ahh, that won't matter"and sometimes it doesn't. But that huge buck always seems to magnify and capitalize on any shortcuts, for this"average" hunter anyway.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: twildasin

U can put all the time and effort in you want if you dont have a good hunting spot or location that holds deer you will have nothing to show for it.!
This is true, but I believe an above average hunter will be DETERMINED to find a better spot or location if they don't already have one.

Determination is my answer for separating average from above average. Now separating above average from exceptional I believe comes down to instinct.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Knowledge of the animal being hunted...Knowing and being able to identify it's preferred food during different times of the year, it's preferred travel routes, bedding area, how to enter and exit the area with minimum disturbance, understanding the rut and how it affects deer, understanding weather patterns and when the animals are most likely to be active, knowing how to read sign in the woods, just basic woodsmanship...How to locate and setup an ambush point and then keeping your composure and executing the shot when the time comes...

Observation and adaptability...Being able to notice the small signs that tell you when a deer is approaching and knowing when and where to move when a spot doesn't pan out....Knowing the area so you don't waste time in non productive areas...Even knowing what other hunters are doing in the areas around you so you can make adjustments...

The self control or maturity it takes to pass on a marginal shot is also important...

Finally, tracking skills after the shot and being able to evaluate the shot and how long you need to wait before finding the animal...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: twildasin

This is true, but I believe an above average hunter will be DETERMINED to find a better spot or location if they don't already have one.

Determination is my answer for separating average from above average. Now separating above average from exceptional I believe comes down to instinct.
I tell ya what I can find you deer alot quicker than the land to hunt them on! Its all posted down here![:@]But Im lucky to have some great spots!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

What separates the good hunters (I didn't read the previous posts) from the average hunters I know.......istheir uncanny drive to excel. Theyre intelligent enough to apply everything they take in....whatever medium that may be. I believe this is true to a man.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Woodsmanship!

Quick Reply: what seperates average hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.