Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the advantages of maxing your bow weight out?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What are the advantages of maxing your bow weight out?

Yup, more efficient and definitely quieter.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Because a 70 pound limb has a specific spring rate. That is it's optimal rate of bend. That is where it was designed to have peak performance.

When a limb is shot at its max draw weight that limb is pre stressed, or pre bent, in a manner in which it was specifically designed to be stressed.

When you back out the limbs you are removing some of this pre bend in the limb so it can not perform in its optimal spring rate.

It's kind of likeleaf springsor truck. Limbs are basically large, flat springs made from fibers.
Those springs are designed to have a cerrtain ammount of weight and stress applied to them to get the best performance from thatspecific set of springs. If you have a spring that is designed to have 5000 pounds (70 pounds limbs)of compression to operate optimally and you are using them in a vehicle that only is able to apply 3000 (turned down to 60 pounds)on them then they are not going to give the driver a very smooth ride.

I hope i didn't just confuse everyone. [&:]
Never thought of it like that before...makes perfect sense though
Old 04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

If you were to get two bows of the same model, one, a 70 pound bow backed down to 60 pounds and the other a 60 pound bow set properly at 60 pounds, using the same arrow the 60 pound bow will shoot a little bit faster than the 70 pound bow will that was backed down.
I did that very thing when I bought my bow last year. 70lb Drenalin cranked down to 62lbs with a 400gr arrow shot 271, the 60lb maxed out 62lbs and shot 273. Both bows shot the same, had the same feel, and were no more or less louder that I could tell.The reason I went withthe 70lb limbs was from past experience,the 60lb bow will only max out at 57-58lbs a few years down the road from limb wear, new string/cables or not. I'll always be able to keep this one at 62lbs.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Paul, i didn't say there weren't really good reasons to not shoot a bow at less than max draw weight because there are.

What i did was simply answer the question asked. Which was simply, What are the advantages of shooting a bow with the limbs set at their maximum draw weight?. Limbs are more efficient when shot this way plane and simple.

Regardless if a specific set of limbs are 71 pound limbs, 68 pound limbs, what ever. If they are flexing how they were optimally designed to flexthen they will perform better. Whether it is 1 fps in arrow speed or 8 fps in arrow speed.