Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the advantages of maxing your bow weight out?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Default RE: What are the advantages of maxing your bow weight out?

Bows maxed out have there best performance I have noticed when you are shooting a bow that is maxed out verse backed down that the maxed out bowmakes less noise shoots smoother and faster. I shoot my bow a 1/4 back from maxed out which is 70lbs 1/4 turn out maxed out with my bow is 71lbs.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

A bow is like a woman.There's a distinct mental advantageto being more dominant than your bow.

For example, if you have a 70# bow, and you're too big of a wuss to max it out - the bow has a mental advantage over you. It knows. You are a slave to the muchismo of the bow. Until you can max it out with ease, your bow will always know you're a wimp - and it will slap you around from time to time. Because it can.

However, if you have a 70# bow, maxxed out - and you can draw it with ease - you are the master. You are the King, and the bow is your barefoot wife, chained to the stove.The pecking order has been established, and your bow knows that no funny business will be tolerated.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

A bow is like a woman.There's a distinct mental advantageto being more dominant than your bow.

For example, if you have a 70# bow, and you're too big of a wuss to max it out - the bow has a mental advantage over you. It knows. You are a slave to the muchismo of the bow. Until you can max it out with ease, your bow will always know you're a wimp - and it will slap you around from time to time. Because it can.

However, if you have a 70# bow, maxxed out - and you can draw it with ease - you are the master. You are the King, and the bow is your barefoot wife, chained to the stove.The pecking order has been established, and your bow knows that no funny business will be tolerated.
Tell them Fran you get more SPEED when its MAXed out!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bow is like a woman.
LOL Well, I prefer a woman that is NOT maxed out in weight
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 AM

You are single, aren't you?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

LOL Nope .

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

So true, so true. Another advantage is shooting a maxed bow increases your choicesas far ascamo options. Simply because there are so many more companies that produce camo pants and not a whole lot that produce camo skirts. I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

LOL Nope .

I don't like maxed out women either. I also tend to steer clear of women that areholding sharp objects and have my headstone(aka firewood)ready to go in the other hand. That's just me though.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

That might be true if your bow is at it's max draw weight when the limbs are bottomed out, but that is rarely the case. Some are a bit over, some are lot over and some are a bit low. So that sort of throws that theory out the window.
If this is the case then someone has mucked with the strings and cables in order to get higher weight. Or they have streched which usuallyresults in lower weight.

You can get 70 pounds out of a 60 pound set of limbs and vise versa with out backing them out one bitbut you will do so at the cost of limb failure and/ orbad performance.

A set of limbs that are ground to have a specific rate of deflection will perform their best when they areworking within those specifics.

If you were to get two bows of the same model, one, a 70 pound bow backed down to 60 pounds and the other a 60 pound bow set properly at 60 pounds, using the same arrow the 60 pound bow will shoot a little bit faster than the 70 pound bow will that was backed down.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM

So your telling me that it is not common to have a bow that draws higher than it is rated when the limbs are maxed out? Because there a lot of bows that do this, right off the shelf at the pro shop. Mathews used to horrible for it, sometimes 5 lbs over what there were rated for. And on some designs changing the draw length will effect it as well.

I will give you that given the two extremes the higher poundage bow turned all the way down may be a tad slower. However how much are we talking, most likely not more than a few feet per second. Certainly not enough that it will make a difference in real world shooting. And believe me being a smaller archer I have played with this quite a bit. Using different weight ranges, different draw lengths, different string lengths you name it I have probably tried it. I have even shimmed limbs to get more weight than what they were rated for. Even out of time bows don't even vary a great deal.

My point is that limbs are adjustable for many reasons, two of them being to match the draw weight to the archer and the other to match the draw weight to the spine of the arrows. I would bet you good money that 9 out of 10 average archers that have their limbs maxed out are over bowed as far draw weight goes and could have a much better spine match if they played with the limb adjustments. And both of those are in my opinion much more important than any advantage you might gain from having your limbs maxed out. Especially with the newer style bows.

I'm certainly not suggesting that someone goes out and buys a 70 lb bow and shoots it at 60 lbs on purpose. However there are a lot of people that will get a 70 lb bow even though it's a bit much for them then they turn it down to 65 or so hoping to increase strength later. Maybe the will, maybe they won't. Then they read a post like this and get the impression that their bow will shoot better maxed out so they go ahead and bottom the limbs out thinking it will magically make them shoot better. When in most cases it simply will not. It might be slightly more efficient in a machine but that doesn't mean you will actually shoot it better.

So I'm not really saying your technically wrong, because your not. I'm just saying that in my opinion it really doesn't matter enough to worry about. And it's really nothing more than my opinion.

Paul

Quick Reply: What are the advantages of maxing your bow weight out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.