Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's more important in the whitetail hunter's arsenal?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's more important in the whitetail hunter's arsenal?

Personally, I think spending hours a day and making 1,000s of posts on HNI is far more important than instinct, intelligence, or experience. You get on here and post away and you are a legendary whitetail killing machine.

With that said, I've got to get typing.

Later.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the thing that separates the best from the rest.......are the ones who are willing to spend $25 to put "Field Staff Member" in their signature.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think the thing that separates the best from the rest.......are the ones who are willing to spend $25 to put "Field Staff Member" in their signature.
Owww.. Thats gonna leave a mark!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get it right bro. I paid $35 for a hat, sticker, and 6 months worth or QDMA magazine. HB is in my sig because they are great guys.

You know you're jealous.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

How does one aquire instinct? Are you just born with this in you? To be able to go out and hunt down an animal for food?

Serious question.
Most of the people I know who are successful in hunting.....business.....life......have ALWAYS had good instincts.....and have typically excelled at anything they've taken on.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

You know you're jealous.
No.....just more fond of my $35
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Site Bouncer

I don't think you can answer that question because they are so closely intertwined. It's akin to asking which is more important your right arm or left.

Experience...true experience can only be gained with intelligence and applying it to the situation. If not applied then you are learning nothing from your experience thus it not experience.Conversely intelligence...true intelligence is only gained with life experiences, sure you can learn from reading and listeningbut that'sonly half the equation, you must go out and "do it" you must experience the task at hand, it's highs and lows, triumphs and defeats. Buy doing this and again, applying it, you will gain intelligence.

You can dissect it all you want and I'm sure you can pull instances out of each than can stand alone but a hunters TRUE arsenal is indeed his/her brain and you will need a strong combination of both intelligence and experience to be proficient in the long run.

Just my $.02
Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can have all the expierence in the world but if you don't put it to good use and learn from your experiences your never going to get to that next step. Some people are born with these hunting instincts, some people are not and never will be. Some of us will pick it up on the way while learning from our experiences. Its not a given though. What you will get out of hunting depends on what your willing to put into it. My dad has it, it didn't come over night though, it was gained in time and learning from old experiences. I'm not there yet myself, buts its not from trying. I know if I keep trying and learning from my old experiences the chances are it could and should happen. Nothing is guaranteed though when hunting whitetails.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know you're jealous.
No.....just more fond of my $35
Weren't you the one arguing about how you don't mind paying more in a capitalistic society? C'mon it's only $35. Although even with it you'd still only be half as cool as me.

OK enough hijacking. Intelligence will point you in the right direction, experience will correct the errors made while using your intelligence, and instinct is either there or it isn't. Which is most important...?

Chicken or the egg?