Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's more important in the whitetail hunter's arsenal?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's more important in the whitetail hunter's arsenal?

LT.....that guy's killed more animals in his life than anyone on this board, I'm betting.
Does that mean we should all go take a dump in the woods? I think I will rely on experience that gives me intelligence to get the job(no pun intended) done.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to say that intelligence makes up for lack of experience, but experience doesn't make up for lack of intelligence. So you use itelligence until you have experience then with your powers combind you are............ CAPTAIN........ DEER HUNTER!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Tell us about your experience, LT....and how you use that to get the job done.

Give examples....and real numbers.

I am going to say that intelligence makes up for lack of experience, but experience doesn't make up for lack of intelligence.
You might be on to something, Pope.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Tell us about your experience, LT....and how you use that to get the job done.

Give examples....and real numbers.

I am going to say that intelligence makes up for lack of experience, but experience doesn't make up for lack of intelligence.
You might be on to something, Pope.
And I wasn't? Whats up with that?

So, is this guy intelligent, experienced, or both?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know i thougth that quote up off the top of my head and then when I read it again I couldn't believe I came up with it!!!It actually makes sense!!! LOL!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

So, is this guy intelligent, experienced, or both?
I guess that depends on how long he's been sitting there.....and whether or not he's been successful
Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I have not the stories to tell. I take that from my Dad I guess. I will not brag over game I have taken. I have very few pics because of this. Not an excuse, I am just being honest.

As for numbers, (I'm guessing) I probably have taken approx 30 deer in my life. I hunted from around 6 years old till I got married at 20. I took a 15 yr break from any and all hunting.
Since I started back, I have taken around 7 deer. I do not have any trophy bucks as for what some would call trophy bucks. I have trapped, hunted, fished, and just about everything else a person could do outdoors in Louisiana.

I use everything I know and whatever else I can learn from others. Just like you Jeff.Sorry if this is not what you were looking for.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 PM

Given the two options, I would have to take experience.

To me, intelligence means a knowledge of deer, the woods, ect. But one thing that I have learned from hunting deer for the past 12 years is that can all be a mute point at times. Deer do some crazy things and sometimes do the exact opposite of what logic or any articles/books say they should do. This is where the experience wins out. A mix of both experience and intelligence to actually use what you have experienced is the best way to go.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

23 deer between the ages of 6 and 20 is nothing to sneeze at.

You had 14 years of experience hunting (using your numbers) between the ages of 6 and 20.

Again....nothing to sneeze at.

Do you think you'd be a better whitetail hunter if you'd picked it up at 20 and hunted those 14 years?

Same "experience"

Old 04-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Given the two options, I would have to take experience.

To me, intelligence means a knowledge of deer, the woods, ect. But one thing that I have learned from hunting deer for the past 12 years is that can all be a mute point at times. Deer do some crazy things and sometimes do the exact opposite of what logic or any articles/books say they should do. This is where the experience wins out. A mix of both experience and intelligence to actually use what you have experienced is the best way to go.
Works both ways, BM. I know guys around here that have been hunting for many years who couldn't find the water if they fell out of a boat.

Quick Reply: What's more important in the whitetail hunter's arsenal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.