Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mathews Genesis: What a Great Training Aid

Old 04-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Mathews Genesis: What a Great Training Aid

About a year ago, I bought my daughter a used Mathews Genesis. It came all set up - complete with a fist full of Easton Genesis arrows. Bow never shot very well. And she wasn't real enthusiastic about shooting it. So it sat in a corner until last week.

I put a good quality drop away rest on it and bought some new arrows. Suspected that the Genesis arrows were a bit bent and tweaked from the start. The bow now shoots great. But it is about the most unforgiving bow I have ever shot. Just a touch of hand torque or the slightest bit of target panic will send an arrow clear off the Block 4 X 4. Do everything just right and its arrow shafts touching at 20 yards. Must be this thing where the arrow is on the string for an eternity. IBO is probably about 50 fps.

Nice thing about the bow is that the draw stop is adjustable from 24 to 30 inches. And there is no let off at the end of the draw. It comes back nice and smooth and just stops - at a pull weight maybe just a bit above my hunting bows that, with a 75% let off, are holding at about 18 lbs.

After an hour or so of shooting this bow, which is not very hard on the rotator cuff; I broke two nocks on two consecutive shots with my Hoyt Protec. I think this Genesis is going to see a lot more use this summer.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mathews Genesis: What a Great Training Aid

Roskoe, I've heard that about the Genesis. I've never had the pleasure to play with one but I know alot of orgs. like Women in the Outdoors, JAKES etc ship them to get togethers.

Thanks for the write up.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews Genesis: What a Great Training Aid

Thats a great idea Roskoe i had never thought of the Genesis as a training aid!!