Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entry/Exit Routes?

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Entry/Exit Routes?

Curious as to what are some of the novel ideas you have come up with for entry to, and exit from certain stands.

Let 'er rip tater chip.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Entry/Exit Routes?

Alter them.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since its so integral to success I have had to do a lot of strenous things getting too/from stands. Other than half mile detours...I like to wade up creeks if they are bordering the stand and I have climbed some hills that were over 6o degree inclines to make sure I did not spook deer and they did not find my scent trail. My favorite stand requires me to climb a 400 foot river bluff just like that...otherwise I might bust deer.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alter them.
And by this, you mean, to get to and from stand on a different path each time? I have done this a few times. Spreads scent over 2 or more areas instead of one trail though. Not sure how effective that is in the long run.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Avoid stand sites that don't have ideal ones. I look for terrain features (drainage/irrigation ditches, guts, etc), to conceal movement. On my property I've found my best bet in most of my locations is to place myself backed into a "wall" where deer only enter/exit strictly in front of me all the while allowing me to exit/enter securely out behind my stand.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trebuchet

Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

400 foot river bluff
Joe, you are what I call SERIOUS. lol But hey, whatever it takes. That is what I was looking for here.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Trebuchet

How did that turn out for you[8D]?
Old 04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I talk about this a lot in here......and people still think I'm crazy....but I gt to one particular woodlot about 2 hours, most times, before first light. The No. 1 reason "why" is.....I KNOW I blow out a lot fewer deer this way. The side effect is.....a cozy little nap in my climber.

I've done some switching up on entry routes......and even entry times for the day. I went in at 9:00 one day in '06 and had the greatest day I've ever had afield. Who would've thunk you'd have a great day gettin in so late?......OR....was that "early"?

I think the deer pattern us a lot better than we pattern them......and I think it's smart to mix things up.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

And by this, you mean, to get to and from stand on a different path each time? I have done this a few times. Spreads scent over 2 or more areas instead of one trail though. Not sure how effective that is in the long run.
How's your way working out for you?.....lol

What I meant was......you're gonna leave human scent no matter which way you go in. Go in the same way EVERY time....and you're going to educate your herd. It's not AS vital for me as it is others to do this. I'm going to a different tree most every time.

If you think deer aren't patterning YOU if you take the same trail every time.....then by all means keep going down that path.

Quick Reply: Entry/Exit Routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.