Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entry/Exit Routes?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Entry/Exit Routes?

If they are not patterning us by scent, then why will they skirt some stands and never use that trail again?
If you're not there (in the stand)....how do you know they haven't patterned you?...and only avoid it when you're there?

Is it because they saw you?
I'm not saying you're naive. I'm saying I used to think this way and have since changed. I used to think that I wasn't spooking deer.....because I didn't see them avoid me. Now....I think I quite possibly get pegged a bunch.....and never know it.

And if you think using the same trail is what will work best for you....by all means....do it! I don't think there are many "absolutes" to deer hunting. I do what I think will make me successful in my woods. You should do the same.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're not there (in the stand)....how do you know they haven't patterned you?...and only avoid it when you're there?
This is a good question to an extent, but I am going by tracks and scat that have altered after hunting a stand a few times.

I used to think that I wasn't spooking deer.....because I didn't see them avoid me. Now....I think I quite possibly get pegged a bunch.....and never know it.
So, why do you think that you are getting pegged? Scent? Sight? Deer may have altered their path?

This is a good conversation Jeff, but actually what I was more looking for was "by what novel means" have you entered/exited stands, and why.

Yours is a definate take on this, but not exactly a different approach for different situations/setups. No harm. Actually we can continue and others can (please do) chime in as well.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an area that I hunted every weekend, had a well worn path thru 3ft weeds and grass. By the time I came back the following weekend there were droppings up and down the path. The deer had begun using MY trail because it offered the path of least resistance. With that in mind, I'd say minimal scent would not last more than a couple days.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

So, why do you think that you are getting pegged? Scent? Sight? Deer may have altered their path?
I don't KNOW that I am. I'm just not naive enough as to think it isn't happening.

I've got a spot that's not 250yds off the road. I go into this spot 4 or 5 different ways.....thinking the one day I alter it right.....is gonna be the day I DIDN'T bump the big boy going in. I've walked to this site a few times in the dark.....right down the road. When I do this.....I bump deer along the way almost every time. I got to thinking.......deer are used to cars going down that road a LOT more than seeing someone walking. So I got an idea........Lisa gets up on the weekends and drives my truck down the road with me on the tailgate. When we get to my entry point.....she slows down and I hop off. Is it less conspicuous? I don't know. Does it work in my mind? Yeah.

That's unconventional
Old 04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just not naive enough as to think it isn't happening.
So you "are" saying that I am naive enough to think it isn't happening? Lol, no I know that's not what you are saying Jeff. That's just not your style.

they will continue to bust us all at one point or another.
I thoroughly admit that we will get busted/pegged. Just a matter of time.

By the way, you're way of getting to your stand area is what I was looking for. You did what you had to do to get there and spook the least amount of deer as you could. That is what I am after as well. We will all spook a certain amount of deer getting to stand at times. My goal is to have this be a low number.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I spend the off season digging tunnels to my favorite trees.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gawrsh Mickey! I thought I would get more responses than this.

LT
Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Entry/exit routes are so dang important, but not talked about enough. Done incorrectly, they can blow your current hunt as well as future hunts in a matter of minutes......Many times people will not even realize they are bumping deer with their entry. Just because you cannot see or hear deer bounding off doesn't mean you did not spook them. Think, Where are the deer and where are they going....then try to slip in without them seeing/hearing/smelling you based on the terrain, wind, and weather.....sounds real easy huh?