Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes My Hunting is better
69.44%
No my hunting Stinks
25.00%
Same as before
5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

You have had your regulations change now for over 5 years. Is hunting in PA better or worse than before.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

That poll does not give the answer that I'm seeing in the woods.
I am seeing larger bucks but deer numbers are so reduced that the chance's of being successful have been reduced greatly. This year I saw one legal buck through our complete seasons.
Some areas around cities have plenty of deer other areas are void of hunt able deer numbers.These regulations have led to thousands of acres of posted land.The one size fits all is no way to manage a state as large and diverse as PA.
I am all for AR but the doe slaughter has to end some time.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great post ..... I look forward to the results
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will not see the deer you use to see in Pa.. Your chances of succes are down 75% but there are bigger buck out there to hunt! Problem around my area is everything is posted! Lots of deer not as many as before but still plentiful! Im blessed with 3 farms to hunt!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Host of Hosts

I have seen alot more 2.5and older bucks. Doe numbers are down for sure, but right from the very start of this program we were told what needed to happen. Deer numbers had to be cut down in order for the habitat to sustain them and other species. They said this right from the beginning.

I understand that alot of guys can't put the time in that it takes to be successful these days, butjust because you buy a tag, that alone doesn't guarantee you a deer anymore. The old days are gone for good. We will never see deer numbers they way they used to be

Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

You will not see the deer you use to see in Pa..
I am seeing larger bucks but deer numbers are so reduced that the chance's of being successful have been reduced greatly.
I would see these statements as positives in NC.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

That poll does not give the answer that I'm seeing in the woods.
I am seeing larger bucks but deer numbers are so reduced that the chance's of being successful have been reduced greatly. This year I saw one legal buck through our complete seasons.
Some areas around cities have plenty of deer other areas are void of hunt able deer numbers.These regulations have led to thousands of acres of posted land.The one size fits all is no way to manage a state as large and diverse as PA.
I am all for AR but the doe slaughter has to end some time.
Agreed. Doe numbers are worry-some. Bucks are better.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

all im seeing is more and more little bucks that 90 percent of them get shot before they even reach 3.5 so its pretty pointless.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's been a very good improvement. Still few and far between are the real slammers, but overall its getting better.

Still a very uphill battle against the "traditional" mindset in this state.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the AR's , bucks IMO have been making it through and I'm seeing larger ones for sure..........the Herd Reduction part of the management went a little nuts though if you ask me. There are large portions of agricultural land here that can handle many many more deer but the entire state is governed by what they wanted in order to kick start big woods regeneration.

The Herd Reduction part should have skipped everything below I80 if you ask me.

Its amazing to see how much undergrowth I have in my areas now with less deer browsing. I have to hit my one farm next weekend and spend a day just reopening the trails that have become so blocked up with greenbriar, multiflora Rose etc that deer are avoiding them.
I can use it to my advantage and steer the deer but we really should have more around. I would bet my doe sightings have dropped by 3/4 or more and I could see it declining each successive year of the concurrent buck/doe rifle season.

I still like to fill the freezer with a couple does and man the pickings are slim.

Quick Reply: Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.