Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes My Hunting is better
69.44%
No my hunting Stinks
25.00%
Same as before
5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Fran, what you've said is all true, and Jim touched on the big problem. Those 4 dirty little letters D C N R. That's who is tugging on the puppet strings of the PGC and as long as they have influence it will be a problem. I would love to see Penn State get a commission to do state wide analysis for the PGC and a proposal for management. Hell, we had a genius here in Alt and the old-timers and DCNR ran him out of town.

Any place I have seen that has gotten a PSU assessment and development plan has seen excellent results in short time. I can tell you first hand why that is.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Fran, what you've said is all true, and Jim touched on the big problem. Those 4 dirty little letters D C N R. That's who is tugging on the puppet strings of the PGC and as long as they have influence it will be a problem. I would love to see Penn State get a commission to do state wide analysis for the PGC and a proposal for management. Hell, we had a genius here in Alt and the old-timers and DCNR ran him out of town.

Any place I have seen that has gotten a PSU assessment and development plan has seen excellent results in short time. I can tell you first hand why that is.
AMEN to that Bry! There are some excellent Deer biologists here in Happy Valley. And I want to say a very heartfelt thank you to Dr. Gary Alt for getting PA headed in the right direction. Its ashame he was forced out the way he was. He does not get the respect he deserves, and most people have forgotten already what the man did for the Bear herd in PA. And we all know how his work with the black bear in PA turned out.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the answer to that will differ greatly depending on who you ask, and where they hunt. Insome areas they'veallowed too many doe to be killed for sure. The area I hunt in 5-D, has plenty of deer but next to no public land/hunting pressure.This is partly why there's too many. Most people won't allow hunting on their land.
The AR's have worked, no dought. I see more bigger bucks than in years past. Honestly.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the AR are working, but they did shoot to manydoe in the North countys. I do most of my hunting in the southeast and there is plenty of deer where I hunt BUT!!!! The township that I do alot of my hunting has hired snipers to thin out the herd. Last year they shot over 500 deer Bucks,Does and fawns it don't matter they get paid by the deer. They don't care what they shoot. The part that really burns me is the Pgc sold to us that the herd needs to be reduced, which I believe was true. They forpushed AR and to get away with the brown its down mentality, which I like and have no proplem with. THEN the let these snipers come in and shoot the mature bucks that the AR were starting to produce. Thats just great. Lets start AR for bigger bucks then let the snipers with rifles shoot them for money[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]!!!!!!!!!!!! Up north where I hunt the deer numbers are way down! The rifle hunters shot them out. When the rolled they Doe hunting with the 2 week Buck season that was the begining of the end for the deer herd in the Big woods of Pa. In our deer camp up north we buy doe tags but never use them. The biggest problem I see in PA is they need a Licsense $$$ increase in the worst way. They are almost broke and if the state takes it over Pa hunting will go down the tubes. WE NEED A LICSENSE INCREASE NOW!!!!!!!!

? Where have you gone Dr Gary Alt!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everything you said is spot on, hatchet. I couldn't agree more with the license cost increase. That will thin the herd of hunters.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

I believe the AR are working, but they did shoot to manydoe in the North countys. I do most of my hunting in the southeast and there is plenty of deer where I hunt BUT!!!! The township that I do alot of my hunting has hired snipers to thin out the herd. Last year they shot over 500 deer Bucks,Does and fawns it don't matter they get paid by the deer. They don't care what they shoot. The part that really burns me is the Pgc sold to us that the herd needs to be reduced, which I believe was true. They forpushed AR and to get away with the brown its down mentality, which I like and have no proplem with. THEN the let these snipers come in and shoot the mature bucks that the AR were starting to produce. Thats just great. Lets start AR for bigger bucks then let the snipers with rifles shoot them for money[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]!!!!!!!!!!!! Up north where I hunt the deer numbers are way down! The rifle hunters shot them out. When the rolled they Doe hunting with the 2 week Buck season that was the begining of the end for the deer herd in the Big woods of Pa. In our deer camp up north we buy doe tags but never use them. The biggest problem I see in PA is they need a Licsense $$$ increase in the worst way. They are almost broke and if the state takes it over Pa hunting will go down the tubes. WE NEED A LICSENSE INCREASE NOW!!!!!!!!

? Where have you gone Dr Gary Alt!!!!!

Hatchet Jack
One part also in the PGC not having money that alot of people forget about is our wonderful Governor Fat A$$ Fast Eddie Rendell[:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(]. The man is a gun grabber and is anti hunting. He has done nothing to try and help out the PGC. But he has time to get his big butt on the food network TV show Dinner Impossible so he can feed his face.[:'(][:@]This guy makes me physically ill and IMHO he is a sportsmans worst nightmare and I can not wait until he is out of office.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

year total buck harvest % 2.5 year old +

1996--------153,432-------------16.2------------------------24,856
1997--------176,677-------------18.6------------------------32,862
1998--------181,449-------------19.4------------------------35,201
1999--------194,371-------------20.0------------------------38,874
2000--------203,221-------------18.3------------------------37,189
2001--------203,247-------------21.6------------------------43,901
2002--------165,416-------------31.8------------------------52,602
2003--------142,270-------------43.6------------------------62,030
2004--------124,410-------------50.2------------------------62,399
2005--------120,500------------~49%-----------------------~59,045
2006--------135290--------------44%------------------------59,527
2007---------109,200-------------44%-----------------------48,048

Here's some facts. Many button bucks were shot due to the lack of does to shoot. Total 2.5+ harvest down 10,000 in one year and 4000+ less than 2002 the start of it all.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Might help of those columns had some headers
Old 04-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Might help of those columns had some headers
He's a buckeye, Ryan ... what did you expect?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The answer to this question is HELL YES! To put it as simple as you can, PA hunters are seeing BIGGER and BETTER deer! Don't let the "bug" epidemic last year indicate how the PA hunting has been going, it's the BEST thing that they have done to assure of us of nicer deer. The only thing that I wish the game officials would change in PA is, the damn split season crap. The hunting starts to "heat up" and then they take archery season away until a day after Christmas, that really blows.

Quick Reply: Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.