Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes My Hunting is better
69.44%
No my hunting Stinks
25.00%
Same as before
5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I've often wondered if the herd numbers really needed to be reduced quite so dramatically... For example, what would it have been like... Let's just say for the sake of argument - that a 4-point-side-minimum antler restriction would've been installed in 1980.

Do you think we'd have seen BOTH big bucks AND good deer numbers?

I, for one, think you can have your cake and eat it too.

I just don't think you have to have deer densities at 4-6 per square mile to grow a big buck - not even in areas replete with pole timber and a high browse line.

So yeah, I love the antler laws, but I think it would've worked out just fine even WITHOUT the herd reduction.

The reason PA wasn't growing big bucks was due to lack of age structure - not because they were malnutritioned.

By instituting a dramatic herd reduction, in conjunct with the AR - they certainly made it easier for a buck to get big - by virtue of eliminating his food competition - but I think there was enough food to go around - at least in MOST areas. (Not all).
In my honest opinion - PA sports some of the best whitetail habitat on the planet - but we'll never have true "trophy whitetail hunting" until the number of hunters in the state reduces by at least 50%.
Quick, I understand what you are saying and agree to a point. I am hoping that the drastic reduction is an effort to get the deer numbers below what their target is so they can ease back the antlerless license allocations and let the numbers slowly inflate to where they want them. When this occurs they can allocate more licenses and will hopefully have happy hunters and a healthy herd. As I said this is what I'm hoping they are doing. This is the PGC, so who really knows what is going through their heads.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

With deer numbers being so low in areas I feel that as soon as a buck is legal he is killed.
A 2.5 year old buck is going to be legal and with hunter #'s as high as they are and deer #'s being low as a % I think way to many quality bucks are being killed.

Call it "high grading" or what ever you want in my area 1B the best 1.5 year olds are killed and the poorer genetic bucks are given a free pass. My area could and has supported many more deer than are presently here.

I don't know the answer but protecting the best bucksis going to have to be a personal choice because of the diversity & numbers of PA's hunters.

And any of you that read the results of the DCNR meetings you should make your views known. That say deer #'s at the present are 50 % higher than the states habitat can support.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bry - that's supposedly the gameplan - beat down the deerdensities, let the native browse regenerate - and slowly let the herd numbers rebound. But I'm just not seeing any signs of that being effective.

I spent several days in the Allegheny National Forest this year - and the browse line looks the same as it always has - nonexistent.I don't think it'll change - even if whitetails were extinct. The reason is that the tree canopy is gluttoning up an extremely high percentage of the available sunlight. Compounding the problem, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of forestland, where everything on the forest floor is being choked out by various fern species.

Until you selectively cut (or clearcut) the timber - the carrying capacity isn't going to change, because the undergrowth is choked out by the standing pole timber.

Callthe Kingcrazy, buthe thinks that we'd be seeing a lot more deer and a lot more big bucks if we'd have just implemented a simple 4-point restriction statewide - and left the doe season alone.

Over time, the buck/doe ratios would have increased - the age structure would have increased - and we wouldn't have all the whining and complaining about "not seeing any deer."

For the sake of argument: If, indeed, the herdDID exceed the carrying capacity of the land - we have two checks-and-balances already built-in: Hunters and Mother Nature.Any overabundance of deerwould quickly be exterminated by disease, starvation or predation (human predation, that is).
Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd take on a grizzly with a switch in the woods at night

But I remember you running from a black bear, like a fat kid, to a candy store when he took interest in your Deer Decoys, in fading light..lol
Old 04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I'd take on a grizzly with a switch in the woods at night

But I remember you running from a black bear, like a fat kid, to a candy store when he took interest in your Deer Decoys, in fading light..lol
Did you see todays pictures ?
That camara is the greatest. Thanks for the tip. I owe you a
Old 04-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, where they at?? Glad ya like it..which one did you go with? I really like mine. Took some nice deer pics Saturday, need to upload them.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

No, where they at?? Glad ya like it..which one did you go with? I really like mine. Took some nice deer pics Saturday, need to upload them.

710 Kodak its great.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2741859
Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok when Gr8 and Jim stop loving on each other, we can get back to the regular schedule program
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Ok when Gr8 and Jim stop loving on each other, we can get back to the regular schedule program
Don't you have dishes to do.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry Germ

Please resume.... We've moved on!

Quick Reply: Is PA better hunting after the AR and Doe regulation change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.