Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here's where "I" am thinking of setting up

Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Default RE: Here's where "I" am thinking of setting up

Inside corners,pinch points,a shallow ravine. All very good choices. I assume the wind is West and North West and the deer will be traveling the inside edges.
Are the fields planted? and w/ what?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here are a few that jumped out to me....

Red and yellow... Both double inside corner pinch points.

Orange and blue... Again pinch points that look decent.

Green is my favorite... Appears to be where a ravine points out to higher ground, if it is what it appears to be, it will be a gold mine once the bucks are in theseeking phase.... These are my favorite type of setups, terrain features back off the fields. If oaks are present it will be a hotspot then as well.

So green shows the best to me on paper, followed by orange and red.

[/align]

Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,

They don't allow you to hunt more than 30 yds into the woods down there?

Just playin man, everyones got the basics covered and it takes foot work to find things inside the woods.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:28 PM

One more thing Jeff,
I would pay attention to the 2 small fields on the SE corner of the map. It's more remote and should see more daytime activity. Especially on the downwind sides if the does are present in the fields.

I also think buckeye is right on w/ the green stand.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks good considering the most consistent wind through november and december is northeast, plus you have a few good spots when the wind is from the south in the early season, and you covered all of the spots I can see from the map.
Brent

Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

It appears your stands are cluttered, but that is probably the because I dont know where the property lines are. I would hunt in that area just north(about an inch)of the third stand from the left where thefield really pinches down the timber for an all day rut area funnel,it appears as though this wouldbe a great travel route for bucks midday during the rut as it connects two bigtracts.Of course assuming you can hunt this area.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

It also looks as though an east-west fenceline could funnel them down to you from the big fields in the center, east of the stand I spoke of setting up. I am getting excited just thinking about this stand now. I guess I missed your colored marks, but I would set up a little northwest of the orange marker to catch traffic from the big finger that jets out west. I think you should have great luck there!!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeye

Here are a few that jumped out to me....

Red and yellow... Both double inside corner pinch points.

Orange and blue... Again pinch points that look decent.

Green is my favorite... Appears to be where a ravine points out to higher ground, if it is what it appears to be, it will be a gold mine once the bucks are in theseeking phase.... These are my favorite type of setups, terrain features back off the fields. If oaks are present it will be a hotspot then as well.

So green shows the best to me on paper, followed by orange.

[/align]

Except for the green, those are the exact spotsthat stuck out for me. The orange and red dots would be my favorite locations based only on this picture.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Buckeye (Scott) & Doubled.......

Except for Buckeye's green dot.....ALL the other stand placements he picked are off the property I have access to.

They don't allow you to hunt more than 30 yds into the woods down there?
They do, rybo....I just thought these would be good places to start.....and move inward as I find their travel routes, better. These are starting points. I like Scott's green dot, but I thought I could observe from the outskirts before going right into the heart of the woodlot.

One more thing Jeff,
I would pay attention to the 2 small fields on the SE corner of the map. It's more remote and should see more daytime activity. Especially on the downwind sides if the does are present in the fields.
Archer....if you mean the SWEST corner....I'd agree with you 100%. There's a stand in that field (hedgerow)right now that I need to see who it belongs to....and when he'll be hunting the fields. They aren't on the property I have accesss to.....so I can only hunt the travel routes to and from the field(s).

I would hunt in that area just north(about an inch)of the third stand from the left where thefield really pinches down the timber for an all day rut area funnel,it appears as though this wouldbe a great travel route for bucks midday during the rut as it connects two bigtracts.Of course assuming you can hunt this area.
Bhunter....there's actually an old house in that spot. The old lady never goes anywhere (my landowner's sister....and the owner of the adjacent property)....and I KNOW they travel through there. I've seen them from my in law's house. That stand I have in the middle of that woodlot is about as close as I can get....but I LIKE THE WAY YOU'RE THINKING! Spot on.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

As I started typing my heart began to race thinking about the possibilities! Good luck, I am going to have to get my map on here and see what ya'll think.