Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here's where "I" am thinking of setting up

Old 04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Here's where "I" am thinking of setting up

I would agree with Mobow's comments as well, the two spots I like the best are the two lowest spots you have marked for stands -
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Preliminary stand sites picked.....based solely on the aerial and very little on what I know of the area.

I have a reason I picked these spots......but you're not very much behind my learning curve. I've never really looked at this land.....because I thought it was off-limits.

I have to get a new mindset.

So.....where would you set up, and why?

Likely.....some of your spots might be off the property I have access to. Here's wher eit gets fun (for me). I'd like to hear WHY you choose the spots you do.

Thanks.

Like others have said obvious choices will be inside corners and funnels, it looks like you have most of the perimeter covered. A little hard not knowing the exact property lines but two things I might suggest are to identify any water sources, I can't really see any that stand out but maybe small creeks or field drainage ditches or other small sources. At least you will know of any and can figure that into the equation early season when the temps can still be very warm.

I like that standrepresented by the most top/right tab, it seems to be covering thatinside corner, another area near there I like is just below it andwest kind of toward the mouth area of that funnel between the two fields and since you can't go north that one seems pretty decent( NNW of the othertab you have in that generalarea).

Also just above the word Google there seems to be some kind of break line or change in the topography as well as a road to the west. The road and the breakline or wood block may funnel/force the deer in certain directions, hard to say but I would probablywalk through at least.

I'm assuming the north most tab in the middleis as high as you can goin that side of the map, and you seem to have that block of woods surrounded, you may want to see if there is any where you can sneak in a little farther and find some mast or open areas bordering thicker spots(transition edges). Especially if you can get a good wind forlater in the season when the deer may be sticking to cover harder or bucks are looking for does. Whatever areas you determine do be likey doe bedding areas, look for trails(or add a couple)on the downwind side during the rut.

All just opinions, I'm sure once you set feet on the ground you will find spots we all didn't suspect and many spots that look good but are hard to hunt because of wind or other influences. Good luck with it.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

I'd sit on top of that cloud.
Then you could hack loogies on GMMAT
Or "rain" down arrows!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

If you are looking to put another one up, I would probably put one (if it were mine to hunt) one the corner of woods directly west of the main road and that little white dot. There is a stand west of where I would put one, in the larger section of timber. I'm looking about 1/2" south of where the creek crosses the main road, on that woods section.
I'd love that spot, too.....but that white dot you're looking at (I think)...is the landowner's shed! That's his house, right there beside that dot.

I'm assuming the north most tab in the middleis as high as you can goin that side of the map, and you seem to have that block of woods surrounded, you may want to see if there is any where you can sneak in a little farther and find some mast or open areas bordering thicker spots(transition edges).
You are correct. Can't go further north. I can't wait to walk that woodlot. As far as the thicker spots....Rob and I walked through there, last year coming from the field just to the right of my NE most stand tack. If you're looking, Rob....that's where we were set up the first morning......and where the turkeys were gobbling all day but wouldn't come out. We were just west of there the second day when that gobbler came in spittin and drummin.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Damn! That would be a good spot...but plenty of others to pick from, congrats on the new land!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Mike that's the only dwelling on the spot that's inhabited. The farm up a bit and across the street is his old homeplace......and no one lives there. I will probably be parking there to hike in.

The stand in the NE section can be accessed from the field above it. I can park at my in laws' to get there really quietly (they live on this road). The stands on the SW side can be accessed from that dead end road.....and I'll be talking to some homeowners today about accessing those spotsfrom that road.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great situation, kind of rare to be able to have that any access points. The property I hunt here in IL, that is pretty much my ONLY problem, is that access if very limited, pretty much only one way in, as the southern and western boundaries are all private too, with absolutely no treading allowed. Should be a good situation for you, especially if the others let you walk through.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: mobow

I like it. My 2 favs you have marked are the inside corners, your southwestern and northeastern stands. Those 2 should be hot spots, especially the northeastern. That looks like 2 typed of cover meet there, in that corner creating a super funnel, IMO. And.....inside corners are pretty much my favorite spots anyway. Deer really cut those corners, and use the corner to enter and exit the field.
Spoken like a true Buckeye pupil..he'd be proud, grasshopper.
If I were a TRUE buckeye pupil, I would have included DON'T HUNT THE (blanking) SIGN!!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

THE reason I've chosen these stand sites as a place to start is.....they seem the LEAST "intrusive" for the property. I think I could use these as observation stands for a while and learn a LOT about the deer movement in the area.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff- Can we see the same spots on a Topo map?

They all look good now, but you might be able to find some travel spots on a terrain showing map.

Quick Reply: Here's where "I" am thinking of setting up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.