Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Same Deer.
55.26%
Different Deer.
28.95%
This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.
13.16%
I refuse to vote in this poll.
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Same deer?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Same deer?

Picture #1 was taken in August - about 3/4 mile away from where the deer in Picture #2 was taken in early November.

It's that left main beam that's the signature - with the G3 leaning forward - and about 6" of beam curling in.However, on the right, the velvet buck appears to have a little more mass in the beam, and maybe a shade longer in theG3?

But things can look a little different once they shed the velvet. And I snapped Pic#1 through my varmint rifle scope at 32x at around400 yards. So it's not the best photo ever taken.

I'd like to email Pic #1 to the kid who shot this deer -to givehim a little history behind his deer - but I want to make sure the consensus is that it's actually the same buck.

He'd been hitting a soybean field all summer - and I watched this deer for hours and hours - a couple nights/week. Once the beans dried, he vacated the area - and moved to another property that's laden with hard mast. And does.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Same deer?

same
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran its kinda hard to tell with the rain/fog in the first picture.

Velvet can be deceiving, but it looks as if the deer in the top picture has a fair amount more mass on his right side (our left), than the deer in the bottom picture.

If you were to tell me it was the same deer, I don't think I'd argue with you though. They do look very similar, but that is kind of a text book, cookie cutter, run o the mill 2.5 year old.....there are a lot of em out there that look alike.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing is the spacing between the G2 and G3 tines. On the right, he has a couple inches between - standard, typical frame. On the left, however, there's a smaller gap betwen G2-3, and a leaning G3.

The kid was happier than a pig in mud - and pix'ed me when he got the deer. My first reaction was "I've seen that fish before." I've known him since he was a kid - and I got him access to the land where he took the deer. So it means a little more to me. It's the first "nice" deer this guy has ever gotten.

I observed the deer in the top picture bullying around a lot of the other 2-year-olds, and even locking horns fairly frequently (while still in velvet). Unique personality - which made him stand out in my mind. I'd like to tell him, but I just wanted some confirmation that these are the same deer.

Unfortunately, this is about as close as I ever get while glassing, as I don't want to be disruptive.

Andy: that's not rain/fog - it was clear that day. For some reason, my scope/camera are both clear - but when I use them together - it looks fuzzy and foggy. I just need to invest in a good 60x digital video camera.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happen to have a pic of the below deer posed aproximately the same way? My initial hunch is they are different. Brows dont lie, and pic 1's brows do not seem to match up with pic #2. I am refering to the relative tilt of them on the beam, the length is about the same.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the same deer to me...
Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Joe: I don't have a pic of the brows, and that would be the smoking gun. I agree - the brows look a little different. That's another reason why I asked for a second opinion...

Thing is, I usually remember deer racks pretty well... But I can't remember if this guy had a tilted right G1 or not. It's a pretty good poke from my glassing vantage point to the beanfield. So little details like that get lost in translation.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:08 AM

Looks the same to me
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same deer.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Spike

its the same deer

Quick Reply: Same deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.