Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey Trad/compound guys.....

Old 03-31-2008, 06:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hey Trad/compound guys.....

[&:]I honestly dont know.....but it's going where I'm lookin'.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I pick a spot, CONCENTRATE, focus and when I draw come anchor, pause and release, I never even notice my arrow if I do I'm lost! I cannot look and even try to look down the arrow, I'll miss by a mile![8D]
Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Alright PA since you are in a teaching mood... I'd love to reap the benefit myself.

I'm a three under shooter also... Jeff's post on having no idea what his aiming style is.... couldn't say it better myself... I have no clue... but I'm not afraid to ask... I have no one to show me this. I know that I have a habit of short/quick releasing the arrow.

So what you do is place your middle finger in the corner of your mouth and the index vane on the tip of your nose?

Do you always put your three fingers flush to the bottom of the arrow? I've noticed that at closer ranges if I shoot with my fingers an inch or so below, I can look right slam down the arrow, and I can nail what I'm shooting at, but past about 12-13 yards... all the shots go way low way fast. Is this a legitamate method or am I doing myself a diservice? Rather like using an offset faced golf club to correct a slice?
SwampCollie. I also struggle with releasing the arrow too quick sometimes. I have worked a method to make my self hold longer. It kind of goofy but it works for me. When I start my draw I say "Howard Hill" to myself then when I reach my anchor I say "Fred Bear" to myself and that allows me the extra time to focus on the arrow and my point of aim, and actually just lets my body do what I have trained it to do.

as far as my anchor's that is iexactly what I do. I put my middle finger int he corner of my mouth and the cock feather to the tip of my nose.

What you are doing with sliding your fingers up or down the string is called "string walking" it is a legitimate aiming method but illegal for most competitions. I have found that out to 20yds I can aim spot on and hit the bullseye, after that I have learned how far I need to hold High at each distance to hit the bullseye.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

[&:]I honestly dont know.....but it's going where I'm lookin'.
I think your probably using a form of point of aim. Just let it develop naturally Jeff. I know some guys who use a combination of instinctive and point of aim. But take your time shoot lots of good arrows and let it develop on its own, and then you will be able to tweak it to get the desired efffects you want.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Alright PA since you are in a teaching mood... I'd love to reap the benefit myself.

I'm a three under shooter also... Jeff's post on having no idea what his aiming style is.... couldn't say it better myself... I have no clue... but I'm not afraid to ask... I have no one to show me this. I know that I have a habit of short/quick releasing the arrow.

So what you do is place your middle finger in the corner of your mouth and the index vane on the tip of your nose?

Do you always put your three fingers flush to the bottom of the arrow? I've noticed that at closer ranges if I shoot with my fingers an inch or so below, I can look right slam down the arrow, and I can nail what I'm shooting at, but past about 12-13 yards... all the shots go way low way fast. Is this a legitamate method or am I doing myself a diservice? Rather like using an offset faced golf club to correct a slice?
SwampCollie. I also struggle with releasing the arrow too quick sometimes. I have worked a method to make my self hold longer. It kind of goofy but it works for me. When I start my draw I say "Howard Hill" to myself then when I reach my anchor I say "Fred Bear" to myself and that allows me the extra time to focus on the arrow and my point of aim, and actually just lets my body do what I have trained it to do.

as far as my anchor's that is iexactly what I do. I put my middle finger int he corner of my mouth and the cock feather to the tip of my nose.

What you are doing with sliding your fingers up or down the string is called "string walking" it is a legitimate aiming method but illegal for most competitions. I have found that out to 20yds I can aim spot on and hit the bullseye, after that I have learned how far I need to hold High at each distance to hit the bullseye.
Thanks for the info!

I was semi-afraid that string walking might damage my bow from putting uneven stress on the limbs or something like that.... never know.

As long as its not illegal for hunting, I'm good to go! I don't look good in FITA pot hats anyway....face too round...ears too big...

Heck I think the rain just quit... I have flood lights on the house for a reason... I'm going out to play in the puddles.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM

I use the same double anchor point that Rick teaches.....3 under, cock feather on nose and thumb knuckle behind my ear lobe.....

Just a tip, getting the feather to easily touch the nose works best for me using shield cut feathers.