Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ripcord question...With pics

Old 04-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ripcord question...

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I used camo felt with sticky back on a small section of the shelf and on the back of the launcher..no problems with noise here.
X2 I love my ripcord!!
X3 also put 2 layers of moleskin on it maybe
Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 125py

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

I used camo felt with sticky back on a small section of the shelf and on the back of the launcher..no problems with noise here.
X2 I love my ripcord!!
X3 also put 2 layers of moleskin on it maybe
Guys, I do appreciate you trying to help me and I don't want to sound sarcastic or be mean about this, but please read what my question is? My rest is making the snapping sound and IT ISN'T HITTING THE RISER SHELF. I know that moleskin or another material will take the sound away of the rest hitting the shelf, but that isn't my problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

All drop away rests are going to make some kind of sound. The launcher arms have to stop against something and that something is going to make some kid of noise. No matter how much dampening material you use you will always be able to hear some kind of sound with a drop away rest. Or any rest that moves for that matter. Even TM hunter rests will make clicking noises when the arrow pushes down on the prongs and the rests snaps back up.

Adjust your rest so that your nocking point and rest are in the proper place and use some sticky foam, mole skin, felt, Simms pad, or waht ever to make it quieter.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:19 AM

I can tell looking at your rest that it is one of the older versions, i had a similar experience with my first ripcord. Only I had mine setup up to drop down on the shelf. What your hearing is the rest coming to stop against the built in stopper and there is no way to muffle that sound.

Set up the rest and nock point the way it is supposed to be and then use moleskin or the new Simms dropaway pads or a combination. When you set it up properly the rest will hit the shelf before it hits the internal stopper, and you will experience less noise.

Dropaways are going to have more noise than the WB, but it is a tradeoff.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nvshooter

I can tell looking at your rest that it is one of the older versions, i had a similar experience with my first ripcord. Only I had mine setup up to drop down on the shelf. What your hearing is the rest coming to stop against the built in stopper and there is no way to muffle that sound.

Set up the rest and nock point the way it is supposed to be and then use moleskin or the new Simms dropaway pads or a combination. When you set it up properly the rest will hit the shelf before it hits the internal stopper, and you will experience less noise.

Dropaways are going to have more noise than the WB, but it is a tradeoff.
Thanks nvshooter. I think you are probably right. The sound does seem to be something internal, and I guess I wasn't expecting it. Hopefully Ripcord has improved that in their newer models. I guess after owning it and trying it on my bow, I'm not a fan of the design. The concept seems good, but can be drastically improved upon. First, I would dampen the internal sound that mine is apparently making and second, I would make it so that it doesn't have to slap the riser shelf at all. I'm probably going to return it and try another brand of drop away, but I appreciate the help. I may start another thread to see if anyone has dropaways that aren't making contact with the shelf.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

have a look at the g5 expert drop away very nice rest no contact no noise and the easiest drop away i ever tuned in
Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with nvshooter, its slapping your internal stop witch may make it louder than with moleskin and shelf contact.
This is all i did to mine, it sems very quiet this way. Its just a small section of camo stickyback felt on the shelf and i did the whole backside of the launcher with the same felt. and i agree, loose the football and serve it into the cable.
oops, forgot the pic here it is!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you got the noise to stop? Two things I noticed, one it looks like thecontainment arm on the ripcord is touching or almost touching your cable guard. Don't know if it is or not, but there is a chance they are slapping each other. A cable guard does flex some and that could be a problem if they are touching? From the way you describe the noise, it is much louder than normal, don't know if that is problem or not but I would check it out. Two I would make sure you rest is dropping on time. I have seen a few first handthat were not droppingfast enough and the arrow was slapping the rest. Of course you can see the wear on the vanes from this.One last thing I do agree with the above advice by others and wouldfollow through with it first. If that doesn't work thengo with what I have said. Hope thisworks and let us know.