Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D....How do you find out if you like it or not?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 3D....How do you find out if you like it or not?

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

Jeff one thing some of my buddies do on the 3D course that is not an all out competition is just put an "X" down for if we made a kill shot or not. Thats it, no scoring other than that. Especially when a bunch of us are shooting with our recurves or longbows. That is honestly one reason I went to shooting a recurve, it is a more relaxed atmosphere. Trad shooters almost seem to not take it as seriously and learn to laugh at themselves and each other when shooting. I got bored with my compound and didn't want to venture down the road of shooting back tension releases and putting a scope on my bow, I took a few steps back and went traditional and I couldn't be happier. It has rekindled my love for archery. I know exactly what your going through, I am competitive as the next guy. Having been an athlete all my life competing in many many sports it is very hard to turn off the competitive nature inside you, even when I was coaching baseball and basketball it was still inside me and sometimes it was not pretty when it came out in me. Find a good group of Trad guys to shoot with and I bet you will see the type of fun and relaxed nature Im talking about.
Good stuff PA! Some of the shoots I've been at we don't go by the vitals they have on there targets, some of them are so far off from where they should be at different angles and such. It drives me nuts when someone's celebrating a 12 and at the angle the animal was it was a terible shot and never ever would of hit the vitals.
Schultzy, amen to that. Sometime when we have a group of Trad shooters we don't pay attention to the stakes either, we pick a different shot where we have to shoot around trees or find a hole through some brush, but at the same time making them realistic hunting shots at the same time. And we always manage to laugh at each other and loose a few arrows. It really lightens the mood but at the same time helps train you for hunting situations.
You know I shot my best score ever yesterday, and I shot with a traditional guy Wehad a blast.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Just be careful Jeff, b/c once you shoot with a really good,regionalchampioncalibertraditional shooter, you'll want what he has too! I have to really, really, really try hard to not let it become work.. I can go to a shoot just to have fun, but leave wanting to be the next world champion... That's just my personality... I love to compete.
Our state champion and I went to the same bowhunter's ed. course. His longbow was the first one I ever shot. I don't see that much difference in his and mine.....because I'm likely not good enough to discern the things he does in that type equipment.

I want to shoot with him, sometime (he shoots in the local 3D circuit, "sometimes"). He's really incredible to watch.....and he's the most forthcoming person you'd ever meet about answering questions and giving tips (if asked).

If I buy another longbow.....it'll be because of something other than performance. It'll be due to viewing it as "art", probably. I really like the one I have, now.

I agree with some of the others, find a non competitive traditional group and just go have some fun!
That's great advice....and I appreciate it. I've got 12 days 'til turkey season....or I wouldn't touch my hunting rig for a while. I think I miss the break.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I discussed my feelings a little about the same subject yesterday and my viewpoint is similar
The history behind me is I used to shoot a recurve competively In Fla, this was in field shoots,NFAA rounds etc, 3-ds weren't the boom they were today
And I was good- winning the majority of the tournaments and I still have several dozen trophies
I shot poorly in one such shoot, and I can remember shooting in the afternoon in a pouring rain storm for several hours - obsessed if you will-

I started shooting these 3-ds this year a felt the same urge, changed equipment several times -constantly thinking about it and what if and then Last Monday decided - it wasn't for me (because of the way I am made up) sold my x-cutters bought the acc 360's for hunting and the occasional 3-d - I am comfortable with my decision and like I told you yesterday I may shoot one a month for fun/pratice - then i will have two bows both will be set-up for hunting and then if I decide to shoot 3d it will be for fun and in hunter class - just not worth the personal sacrifice

I am too obseesive/compulsive'competitive for my own good at times

Old 03-31-2008, 11:20 AM

This weekend I will hear the grumbling from compound shooters and I don't care one bit. I will be shooting with a team of recurve and a team of longbow shooters in the PA State Indoor Championships. We will have to share the line with compound shooters and they hate us. Because we laugh and joke and have fun while they are so tight a$$ed and grumpy when someone breathes wrong. Now mind you we are not disrespectful to them, we are not so loud as to distract them. But it is easy to spot us in the room even without our bows in hand. Oh by the way both of our traditional teams are state champions for about the past 6 years or so and most years we manage to set a new state team record.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT
I think I'm going to eventually go full trad with my hunting.
Uh oh,you do realize you pointing tothe bleachers again?

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, thanks for the compliment.

I'm actually a little surprised by this.

For me, I feel the sky is the limit, and I mean it. I have the resources and time it takes to be good. I've been shooting (competitively) for around 6-8 months now and this is my first year outdoors. The ONLY thing holding me back right now is yardage judging. I'm decent at it, but not top notch. Take yesterday for example. I made 29/30 good shots. I shot one 5 that was pure yardage, the first target, a gobbling turkey with a log across the path. I judged it too hot. After that, I cleaned 15 straight targets, ended up shooting that one 5, and 2 8's. One of the 8's was my only bad shot (had the yardage) the other was about an 1/8" out of the 12. I ended up with 9 twelves.

I NEED to start spending more time judging yardage through the week, I look at targets all the time. The shop has all Rinehardts. So when I get to a course that has all rinehardts, like yesterday. I feel pretty comfortable.

It's all in due time though, no matter how hard you work, it still takes time and experience to improve. I feel, that I've gotten into it soon enough that I might be able to run with it a little.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Nah....I've tried, GR8. She's not interested. She'd go with me....but she doesn't wanna shoot. That's part of it, too....lotta time away. I love my family(As I know everyone does).
Jeff,
Maybe you should see what her "Trade-in" value is, you might be able to trade her for a Tiffany Lakosky or Angie Ross-type or something!!! J/K'ing, I somewhat feel your pain on this one. I like shooting the 3D's, but I get frustrated, partly because I have where I shoot, and where the TARGET SAYS is an 11-spot. We differ on the anatomy a little. But I enjoy the practice, and with the right group of guys, sometimes we score based on what the outcome would be on a LIVE animal. Meaning those low and forward 8's are 11-spots, because you took out the pump station. That helps keep it a little more fun.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff,
Maybe you should see what her "Trade-in" value is, you might be able to trade her for a Tiffany Lakosky or Angie Ross-type or something!!!
Partner....I ain't trading DOWN
Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've said it before.......either you want to have fun, or you want to win. You can ALMOST do both.

I was talking to a few friends about this over the last few weeks, why do I shoot 3D? About all I could come up with is that I'm good at it, so I do it. I'm almost expected to shoot and win around here so there's a little peer pressure to keep shooting. It's definitely not what I would call pure FUN. It's an enjoyable activity but when you are trying to win everything and one 8 can ruin your day it really does start to feel like work.
I like to compete, I like to push myself but I definitely had more fun at the lower rungs because pure natural ability I guess allowed me to pretty much beat alot of people pretty easily.
As the competition grew I didn't lose any ground but the stakes get higher and it becomes more stress. At the national level or Worlds in MBR there are literally 20 or more"Me"s competing for the title for any given event.

Where I might only have to beat ahandful ofgood local shooters for a win, on the upper rung I have to beat 20 or 30 guys who could realistically win each event.
At this level, details, and practice and fine tuning and more practice and yardage, 3rd axis, who's your daddy, where's saturn in relation to pluto etc etc is what it takes to be at the top and man it's a grind, it seriously is.

That's where it is hard to figure out where to stop or how far to take it. I know in my heart in a year or 2 I could be shooting Pro, but the question is do I want to? I think it's easier for a guy who might never reach the middle upper caliber shooting because they'll figure out their top end ability and be able to have fun competing without the constant pressure to win. They can have fun shooting against their buddy for a beer or a steak dinner.
If I want to win an IBO World Championship or National Championship this year I know it's going to be WORK, serious grinding practice and work. That's not fun, no doubt about it, but for a competitive guy like myself it becomes a lot more fun when they hand you that plaque and you get to carry a title that nobody can ever take away from you.

I guess I don't want to be that guy who somewhere down the road keeps reciting "Yeah I COULD HAVE been a World Champion" or "I could have really been great". I want to find out, and then be able to look back with no regrets that I at least gave it a shot.

My buddy Matt Bressler (who is an IBO Open Pro shooter) told me recently, people would kill to have your ability and opportunity, don't waste it and don't live in the "I coulda".
So I guess I'll beat myself up for a couple more seasons and give it hell.

Remember what I said though.........if you want to compete, truly compete you're going to give up the pure enjoyment and fun of shooting.
When you make a bad shot it's no longera laugh between buddies, that arrow hitting the 8 ring makes a distinctive sound, and that's the sound of people passing you on the scoreboard.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

It's definitely not what I would call pure FUN. It's an enjoyable activity but when you are trying to win everything and one 8 can ruin your day it really does start to feel like work.
relate (relative to local shoots here....and the competition I see).

Remember what I said though.........if you want to compete, truly compete you're going to give up the pure enjoyment and fun of shooting.
I'm not willing to do that. I'm just not. Thought I was.....but I'm not. My golf background shoud have prepared me for it. It didn't.

I got into truly competitive softball a few years back (late 90's). Competitive enough that we were being paid to play. Won a national championship in that and I wouldn't play, now, if they were paying big $$. I'm not willing to put that much back into it. So....I can't half-ass it. It's not in me. I'd rather not play.

I'd rather not half-ass 3D. So....I won't play (with the compound).

Quick Reply: 3D....How do you find out if you like it or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.