Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3D....How do you find out if you like it or not?

Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3D....How do you find out if you like it or not?

I was eat up with competitive 3-d when I was considerably younger and had much more free time and truth be told if I had the available time and resources now I might still be. But life/responsibilities change and it's not a realistic option so I don't shoot many anymore and the last 3 or 4 I have shot have been with my recurve and they were very fun (I still try to score high though, competiveness is not something I can shake).
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

GMMAT are you saying that if you (GMMAT) choose to compete in something then that activityconsumes you to the point you obsess over winning thus taking the fun out of it?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

GMMAT are you saying that if you (GMMAT) choose to compete in something then that activityconsumes you to the point you obsess over winning thus taking the fun out of it?
I think that's a big part of it.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Sooner.....let's just say that I can see that (OK....I hope no one takes this the wrong way....I'm just being honest) I am fairly proficient at this (3D)....AND I "also" see what it would take for me (and what others are doing/have done) to be REALLY good at it.

I don't have the desire to dedicate that much time to it. It would be fun....and would have been fun at a different time in my life. It just wouldn't be, now. It didn't take me that long to realize that.

If I practiced every day.....I could play golf, competitively, with most everyone in my state. I have no desire to put myself through that. Kudos to those who do. That knowledge (that I "could" compete with those guys).....doesn't allow me (ME) to play the game at a half-assed level. I wish I was wired differently. I'm not.

I think that probably answers your question
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I'm very much like you. I'm EXTREMELY competitive. It's almost just a natural tendency for me to feel unsuccessful if I'm not doing well at something (that's sad I know). I can see myself getting into 3D, and even though I would love to compete on the level of some of the shooters on here, I'm not sure I will. The problem is, I fear I will end practicing forever, and turning it into work until I think I can compete at a top level. Suprisingly, though I didn't feel at all super competitive at my first and only 3D I went to so far, and I was with some AMAZING shooters who destroyed me....it's odd. I have the drive to practice enough to get good I believe, but I don't want it to turn to work.

Maybe that's why I got interested so much in offroading 3 years ago. It's a great hobby (a bit expensive...very expensive), but it WASN'T competitive. It really can't be (unless you want to unload tons of $$ into a comp rig). It was just a great weekend getaway activity with a group of guys sharing a passion...which is what many of you view 3D as, but there's a score, so I feel as though I will always be judging my performance rather than just enjoying the time....who knows.

A question for the Matt's if they read this (or even Rob and others). Was it truly like work sometimes to get to the point you are now, or was it just a lot of fun, and you didn't mind to practice and effort it took? It seems to me if it's a lot of sacrfice and work to get there (and it wasn't fun), then what's the point? Just curious. Good post jeff.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
bigcountry

Then of this way Jeff. If winning is what makes you happy, then a good % of the time, your going to be unhappy especially growing in the sport. But if shooting makes you happy, then 100% of the time your going to get that happiness.

I learned my lesson with long range bench shooting. I went to a few events. Watched the 1000 yard shots. Wanted to be there. I know I can make some fine ammo, and I can shoot a gun. So started digging in, and finding whats needed, planning on my bench gun, a 15lb class. Then started talking with guys on brass prep. I would have to be consumed with it. And I did walk down that path, I turned necks on brass, I annealed brass, I culled thru bullets, and spent hours up upon hours loading and testing ammo. It started turning into a grind. I just turned something pure and fun into work. Something I used to find therapeutic like reloading and shooting now seemed like a dreaded chore. Only time I was happy was when I hit the X ring. I quit just going out and blasting a groundhogs at 400 yards which I loved. I said screw it. I now only groundhog hunt when it comes to long range.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM

Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Sooner.....let's just say that I can see that (OK....I hope no one takes this the wrong way....I'm just being honest) I am fairly proficient at this (3D)....AND I "also" see what it would take for me (and what others are doing/have done) to be REALLY good at it.

I don't have the desire to dedicate that much time to it. It would be fun....and would have been fun at a different time in my life. It just wouldn't be, now. It didn't take me that long to realize that.

If I practiced every day.....I could play golf, competitively, with most everyone in my state. I have no desire to put myself through that. Kudos to those who do. That knowledge (that I "could" compete with those guys).....doesn't allow me (ME) to play the game at a half-assed level. I wish I was wired differently. I'm not.

I think that probably answers your question
I can relate. My wife would say I take the fun out most "hobbies" I try b/c I tend to obsess and go overboard. I never intend for it to get serious but, as a favorite cowboy singer/poet of mine wrote ".. I gotta win 'cuz I stand to lose."
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I went through my last full weekend of shooting ......shooting a 25 target ASA qualifier on Saturday (which I won).....and a 30 target IBO Qualifier on Sunday (where I finished second)........without a single 5. I also (THINK I) know what it would take to be REALLY good at this.

Not interested.

These endeavors (golf and target shooting) are SO MUCH ALIKE. I promise you. I've been down this road in golf.....where I DID find out how good I was (or wasn't......lol). I have no desire to go back down that road in target archery. I wanna sit my bow in the basement and get to where I crave it again. KInda like I felt with my longbow, yesterday.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff as long as I kick Rob's arsein July I am good
I will shoot every week I can, but I know I will never be as good as the top guys, just like in golf.
I think when one measures oneself against the best it's good and bad. I tend not to worry about what others shoot, beside it's depressing

Quick Reply: 3D....How do you find out if you like it or not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.