Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much time do you spend on your hunting land / Yr.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How much time do you spend on your hunting land / Yr.

It takes almost every weekend, from hunting sheds, checking cameras, planting trees, planting food plots and maintaining them, new stands, alot of work but worth it..Love it!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

i usaully go to the lease on thursday afternoons and throw corn check cameras, check stands (i'm paraniod of loose stands a couple years ago i was in a buddy stand and it began to slide around the side of the tree)
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM

I own a 1/3rd interest in475 acres and I can tell you its a lot of work and it never ends... Once you start building and maintaining roads, food plots, etc, your work never really ends.. We usually spend a couple weekends a month on the place. That being said, its also a lot of fun and we all enjoy it. It makes killing a deer that much more special.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a good question/thread. Not counting scouting and shed hunting, I really couldnt put a number on how much time I spend on our property. Also, I hunt private land and the property we hunt is about a 5 minute 4-wheeler ride from the house. Stilla lot of time goes into food plots (initial maintenance and continual upkeep) photographing deer, monitoring trail cams, freshin the mineral stations. Also we have to split camp firewood, maintain the roads and trails, cut the grass where neeeded, and bush hog too. Still living within stones throw of your hunting land is a HUGE plus.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

My off season time spent on my hunting ground is done while shed hunting//scouting combo trips. I dont keep a log of hours but im going to guess about 50-80 hours every year, some of this time is game camming as well.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, since I live right on the property I hunt, I spend a great deal of time on it. I scouted almost every other weekend from Jan through early March, and am now trimming out areas where I've picked for stand locations. Come April, we will begin working the ground on our main plot, and possibly starting another. Then comes Turkey season, then summer glassing...I LOVE having the land.

Jeff, why the selling the target bow comment? You thinking about getting out of it already?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Just put in 14 hours today planting last of my seed. have to go back tomorrow and bushhog trails through the strawgrass for my groundblinds.

I usaually put in about 15 hrs a week marking trees with a ribbon for a climber stand, ladder stands, etc. it took me the better part of last month clearing, tilling, and removing brush for my food plots. Once Turkey season is over I will spend a few hours a week managing the property.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Really.....any of you guys who have gone down this path....I'd like to know how much time you spend on your hunting land (I could see me doing something there about every weekend, next Winter/Spring).....at least part of one weekend day. When do you start scouting in the Summer? Our season comes in, here, around the 10th of Sept., each year.
Well.....I'm not talking about walking the property willy-nilly. I'm talking about clearing land......planting food plots......working mineral sites.....etc...
No offense taken silly-willy. I didn't know that scouting required clearing land or planting food plots while you were doing it, but what do I know.

Everytime you go on your hunting grounds, you are disrupting the normal activity of the deer that live there. If you need to clear and plant food plots, by all means do it, but do it quickly, then get and stay out as much as possible.

IMO, too many people find too many convenient excuses to go to their hunting properties and work their butt off, but what they do us ultimately more detrimental than positive.

Does what you do as far as intrusion in June or July affect your hunting sucess in September? I don't know but I know it can't help.

I do know that daytime activity of all deer captured on my trail cam, and especially mature deer, goes down SIGNIFICANTLY about 6 weeks prior to the opening of gun season due to all my neighbors doing all their preparation activity before the actual season.

LESS is MORE in most instances, at least that is my opinion. As said in business, work smarter not harder.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Really.....any of you guys who have gone down this path....I'd like to know how much time you spend on your hunting land (I could see me doing something there about every weekend, next Winter/Spring).....at least part of one weekend day. When do you start scouting in the Summer? Our season comes in, here, around the 10th of Sept., each year.
Well.....I'm not talking about walking the property willy-nilly. I'm talking about clearing land......planting food plots......working mineral sites.....etc...
No offense taken silly-willy. I didn't know that scouting required clearing land or planting food plots while you were doing it, but what do I know.

Everytime you go on your hunting grounds, you are disrupting the normal activity of the deer that live there. If you need to clear and plant food plots, by all means do it, but do it quickly, then get and stay out as much as possible.

IMO, too many people find too many convenient excuses to go to their hunting properties and work their butt off, but what they do us ultimately more detrimental than positive.

Does what you do as far as intrusion in June or July affect your hunting sucess in September? I don't know but I know it can't help.

I do know that daytime activity of all deer captured on my trail cam, and especially mature deer, goes down SIGNIFICANTLY about 6 weeks prior to the opening of gun season due to all my neighbors doing all their preparation activity before the actual season.

LESS is MORE in most instances, at least that is my opinion. As said in business, work smarter not harder.
Good post Jack.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not alot....maybe 15-20 hours....I have babies...they've changed the pre-season scouting patterns I use to have...

Quick Reply: How much time do you spend on your hunting land / Yr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.