Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossing water

Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crossing water

I was out scouting for a few hours today and had a dilema on weather I shood try and cross this 15' wide rushing brook.
So I strutted up and down the banks 100 yards either way and decided to push over a dead pine tree and try crossing at the narrow spot. Now, we had 5" of fresh snow yesterday and the water bodies still have ice on them, which, what I'm saying is "it's COLD!" (28 degrees to be exact). So crossing the brook was a big choice knowing the concequences. So I continue to push the dead (leaning) 10" pine tree over and I get a stick to help with my balance. Half way across I start laughing to myself about how pissed I'll be when I slip on this slippery tree and get wet.

Anyone care to share their water story(s), I need a good laugh!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossing water

I'll tell you one if you promise not to amputate my leg

I was scouting in late march. I had to cross a creek to get back to the area I wanted to check out. Not wanting to get wet I took off my pants shoes and socks. The water was knee deep. I got about a quarter of the way across and the water was so cold that I have never felt so much pain in my life. It felt like someone was crushing the bones in my legs.I had to turn around. I never made it across.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell youfrom heart breaking experience thattime of useful consciousness (TUC) incold water is measured in short minutes with some variation for body composition and clothing.

Perosnal stories:
How about a Kansas school teacher that thought she would get a salt water souvenir from a crashing Northern California wave?
How about a tipsy fisherman whose boat went onto the jetty while he was in the toilet?
How about aoverturned, inexperiencedcanoeist whose body we never found?

Most people are not aware of the swift incapacitation that occurs ineven moderately cold water. As a frame of reference, we (USCG helo pilots/crews) arerequired towear dry suits anytime the water is below70 deg F and air temp is below 85 deg F.

Ifcold, coldwater is deep and wide, it might as well be lava.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah - cold water kills for sure.
4 years ago I went out on the last day of rifle season with the .44 mag Pistol into a new area.
It was snowing like the dickens and I caught up on a small track and decided to follow.
Well the little deer crossed what I thought was a 200' meadow and half way across the meadow, I found out that it wasn't a meadow!
It was a small pond, ka-plash, right up to my armpits.
I was about a 1/2 mile from my truck, and as mentioned, snowing hard.
Now you can probably imagine, someone that's completely soaked up to their armpits and snow =
Michelin Man by the time I was back at the 4X4. I stripped down and drove home trying to unthaw!
DAH!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I'll tell you one if you promise not to amputate my leg

I was scouting in late march. I had to cross a creek to get back to the area I wanted to check out. Not wanting to get wet I took off my pants shoes and socks. The water was knee deep. I got about a quarter of the way across and the water was so cold that I have never felt so much pain in my life. It felt like someone was crushing the bones in my legs.I had to turn around. I never made it across.
LOL That's a good story.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Took the daughter out scouting and wouldn't you know it the grass was greener on the other side of the frozen creek. As she watched I crossed. Long story short the ice broke near the opposite shore and I went in. I showed her that day how to keep your head when things turn bad. We had a good time.